Advice on garden fencing

Hey all, Im looking for advice on garden fencing. The lenght would be about

70m. Its the back garden and would enclose an area as a run for the dog. We've been quoted 6500 Euro say about £5000 for picket fencing about 4' high. This included one 12' gate and two 3' doorways. I would like to know what you guys thought about this...Should I look at other options?? Any of you have any ideas that would suit??..

Thanks in advance

Dave W.

Reply to
Dave Walsh

Sounds a lot for picket fencing.

Last time I paid for fencing it was 6' closeboard fencing and it worked out around £25+VAT per yard (no gates). That would make your job not much more than £2k. I would say that picket fencing ought to cost less.

You could DIY of course, but you need to have the time (and a suitable nailgun I would imagine).

Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds

In message , Dave Walsh wrote

Most medium size dogs will have no problems clearing a 4 foot fence.

Reply to
Alan

Agreed, some years ago we watched our neighbours erect a 4' fence right around their house to keep the dog in. First time the dog was in the garden it jumped it. I will never forget the look on the wife's face.

Reply to
robert

ive just paid 900pounds (all in)for 150meters in sheepnet and one rail along the top. it took 3men one and a half days to do it.

Steve

Reply to
r.p.mcmurphy

Reply to
Dave Walsh

Hmm- that alarms me a bit. We've new neighbours and they've already pissed me off ripping out the hedge between us and installing badly a

6ft high fence to keep two great danes in. Will it do so I now ask? Rob
Reply to
robkgraham

For comparison, let's say you were to make 70m of fence out of 6'x6' larch-lap type panels. Each panel, post, etc. would cost you 25uk pounds max and you'd need about 40 of them so that's 1000 pounds.

If carefully erected in a not too windy site, it will outlive the dog.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Harris

Hmm- that alarms me a bit. We've new neighbours and they've already pissed me off ripping out the hedge between us and installing badly a

6ft high fence to keep two great danes in. Will it do so I now ask?

Probably, provided

(a) the dogs are well trained (b) you don't leave any sausages unattended

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Great Danes will probably stand on hind legs with front paws on fence so they can see over it. Just hope the fence will take the weight.

Reply to
robert