Adding a PIR to low-voltage lights

I found some lights that I bought years ago. Four low voltage lights with a transformer and dawn-dusk sensor. I'd like to set them up outside but don't want them on all night. I've been trying to figure out a way to link them to a PIR but I'm stumped. My experience of PIRs is for mains-voltage floods and I don't know how to proceed with low-voltage stuff. I've looked on screwfix for some ideas but can't see anything suitable. Is it do-able?

Dougie

Reply to
Dougie Nisbet

On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 08:07:44 +0100 someone who may be Dougie Nisbet wrote this:-

Connecting the sensor to the higher voltage side of the transformer might rapidly burn out bits of the sensor [1] due to inductive loads. However, you could get the sensor to drive a suitably rated relay, which then drives the higher voltage side of the transformers.

The sensor is likely to be designed for being fed at 230V AC.

[1] as well as any switching device the tracks of the PCB may burn out.
Reply to
David Hansen