Access to loft conversion

I want to carry out a loft conversion, but I will have to cut a section out of the purlin to provide access from the side and I dont know how this can be done. The cut ends of the purlin would need to be supported so that it can still support the roof. Does anyone have any suggestions on how this can be done?

I have every intention of getting advice from a structural engineer, but I wondered if anyone knew what techniques people use for this as If it's too expensive/difficult I won't bother.

I need access from the side btw because there is an existing staircase which already goes to the level of the proposed conversion.

Reply to
peter.melding

Walls all the way to the ground both sides of the cut ?

Seriously this could be a bit of a killer for your plans and I'd get a professional in now before you spend any more time on it,

Reply to
Mike

Surely said 'walls' could potentially stand on a stonking RSJ inserted somewhere at ceiling height upstairs? Not ideal, for sure...

I think the OP's concern is not to waste money on engaging a pro if the whole plan is a complete non-starter. I think it probably could be achieved, but not easily or cheaply!

David

Reply to
Lobster

Some photos would help....

Reply to
John Rumm

On 14 Feb 2005 10:02:09 -0800, a particular chimpanzee named snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

You may be able to increase the size of the floor joists to prop the rafters off, or install a timber or steel beam under. It's fairly commonplace in (proper) loft conversions to have to cut part of the purlin or remove struts to install rooflights or dormers, and any competent structural engineer will be able to design a system of support to the roof.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

Indeed - I had three purlins, had em all away!

Reply to
John Rumm