Above Ground Swimming Pool Deck Structure

"Christian McArdle" wrote in news:42931edf$0$292$ snipped-for-privacy@reading.news.pipex.net:

Unless it's the final straw ;)

I think, all things considered, that I'm going to opt for cutting and filling a level base. This will require little in the way of retaining structure, and will probably take no longer to build. It will also save quite a few hundred pounds (sterling, not weight :) )

It's not going to give me the desired finish, but it's a compromise I'm happy with.

Now I've got to get digging because the pool has just arrived today.

Reply to
Danny Monaghan

Cutting in definitely seems the sensible option. Plus, you can do some nice landscaping with the soil you excavate.

Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds

It wouldn't be. The limiting factor in the calculations is not structural failure.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Or swimming rather than drowning :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Or white water rafting, as may be the case in this instance ;-)

Regards Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

same here.....

Same here again :-)

Likewise, with max 6ft spans, see below.

A bit late replying to this, you have probably started digging out by now, but anyway, this is based on a five minute conversation with my husband over a cup of tea .....

Yes, you could use 6 x 2 s for this sort of load over a span of 'about 6 feet'. However, he says that although it could be done in timber, as long as you had a solid base, block walls etc, used the shorter lengths of structural grade pressure treated timber, it still wouldn't be a long term structure. Wasn't keen on the OSB/bitumen (I think that's what you said, my other newsreader has 'gone wrong', I'm back to OE and haven't got your original post atm) at all, wouldn't stand the water, would rot quickly.

Suggests the best way is to dig out as others have mentioned. However, it could aslo be done using those pre cast concrete beams into which pre cast concrete slabs sit. This could provide the base for the pool and you could build the decking around the edge. If you haven't started and still want the pool raised, you could look into this idea.

Our plumber is in the process of putting in a pool like yours in a similar situation. After a similar conversation he has dug out the base so that the pool is level with the ground at the top of the slope, and he is going to build the decking up to the same level at the bottom of the slope.

We are being much more conventional and are soon about to start digging a bloody great hole :-)

HTH

-- Holly, in France Holiday Home in Dordogne

Holly, in France