A very silly question

Sack truck. Hire Shop.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In order to transfer the weight to the back rail the entire weight has to be raised by the foot plate. crap ones are crap whichever way you look at it.

Reply to
PeTe33

Huh?

The base plate will be taking at least half the load and probably more in most situations. Just think through the physics for a bit! If you are carrying something that is not rigid the situation only gets worse!

Reply to
John Rumm

I would recommend one of these if you dont mind the extra cost. While mostly used in sack barrow mode, the platform mode can enable larger loads that the sackbarrow mode just doesnt work for.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

MrRumm, you will be aware that the bottom of a washing machine does not contain a flat area so therefore the bottom corner of a washing machine will be resting on the backrail of the trolly along with the side of the machine,the back edge of the footplate will stop the machine from dropping down but plays no use in supporting the weight.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Yup, the...Netto I think...one was/is truly a pile of s**te. If it hadn't been so cheap, and if I could have been arsed, and also hadn't needed to use it that morning, it would have gone back. Used as a flat trolley the metalwork holding the small wheels on buckled with about 50-60kg on it.

Still, it served its purpose. Depends what they're needed for I suppose.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

The message from "Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot" contains these words:

I had one of them. Used it a couple of times, then when it was shagged left it outside the front door by mistake. Local monsterkids nicked it and while rolling down the hill a wheel fell off. Teehee!

Reply to
Guy King

So your theory holds for one very specific example. In the general case you are, as I and others have pointed out, totally wrong.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Reply to
John Rumm

It does not even hold in this case really. Asside from the fact that I have seen several flat based washing machines, even if there is only a narrow contact point at the back of the sole plate, gravity will still be acting straight down - hence even with a trolly angle of say 45 degrees the load will be shared 50-50 between the back and the base of the trolly.

The only saving grace offered by the narrow contact point, is that the load will have very little mechanical advantage on the joint between the base and the back of the trolly. So the base will still carry half or more of the load, but will do so mostly in shear close to the fulcrum, and not experience much bending moment. Thus in this situation the trolly is unlikely to be damaged even if it has a thin base plate, but that is not the same as saying the base does not carry any load.

Reply to
John Rumm

No it holds for many other objects.

Lets face it if you and MrKing had your trollys only days before wrecking them then it was down to user error.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

ITYM "sackbarrer"

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

You're lucky they didn't try to sue you. They'd have probably won

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

The message from "Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot" contains these words:

That sort of case is largely mythical, and those that get through are often lost on appeal.

Reply to
Guy King

I do hope so; it'd be nice to believe that there was still a little bit of common sense left somewhere.

P.S. I *was* joking...but you never know.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Did I say I wrecked a trolley? I know enough physics to know you are wrong without even owning a trolley. Read John Rumms reply for a better explanation.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq