A thing about Gas meters?

Is anyone on a gas prepayment meter with the idgital readout with software version "4.7.16.3"? if so have you ever turned the gas of for more 24 hours by the gas cutoff valve and then switched it back on only to find the meter is not letting the gas back through and the digi readout is saying "Call Help"?

When I am going out knowingly for more than 24 hours or more I tend to switch the gas off by the valve for my piece of mind.

I done this last week sometime and had to get transco out to resolve the problem, I'm sure this should not happen?

Thanks

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Eh?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

It may be an attempt to stop people fiddling the gas by bypassing the meter altogether - the meter might go into a "failsafe" mode if no gas has been used.

Sounds like a real shit system though.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

What a dangerous thing to do. Pilot lights go out. Air get in to the pipes. Joins dry out.

Reply to
zaax

pmsl, so if the gas board come out to fix a burst main in your locality and the gas is off for a quite a few hours in your house this is dangerous?

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

It's is possible but whats not to say people can bypass the meter on the conventional meter.

What if I decide to get a new cooker installed and the gas fitter turns the gas off? bloody stupid if this happens each time the gas is turned off, don't you think.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Yes. They have to close off the gas to every house, repressurise and purge the mains, and then go to every house and purge the pipework and ensure permanent pilot lamps are relit, etc. It can take days to get the supply back on over an area.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In article , The3rd Earl Of Derby writes

And the gas-fitter takes more than 24 hours?

Reply to
Mr X

As it happens I do't know the precise time the problem will arise on the meter and am not prepared to find out after the hassle I had getting transco out to remedy the fault. I gave 24 hours as it had been off that long thereabouts.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

In article , The3rd Earl Of Derby writes

Ok, I read your post to suggest that the meter problem happened after many hours, but I agree if it happens after, say, 10 minutes, that would be even more unacceptable.

Reply to
Mr X

If you didn't use any gas at all but left it turned on at the valve wouldn't that be the same, how can the meter possibly know the difference ?

Peter

Reply to
powerstation

In article , powerstation writes

It would if it sensed the gas pressure on its input

Reply to
Mr X

But unless there was a leak that pressure would be the same with the valve open or closed !

Reply to
powerstation

Quite so, they'll even endure a massively leaking main (that someone has tickled with a JCB, say) rather than shut the gas off. They'll monitor the pressure and make sure they can keep the better half of normal pressure going.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

About a couple of years ago, a 12" (approx) very high pressure water main burst and the gas main pipeline for the town alongside it got broken / cut into as a result. The gas main got a LOT of water and silt injected into it and they had to cut off the gas supply to most of the town. It took them over two weeks ( maybe three or four) to restore gas to everybody, purging out the water and dusty silt - a friend even had his jets in the boiler and gas fire checked / replaced (he doesn't know) by the techies, as I guess all households had to, and hundreds of gas people were drafted in from all over the country - clusters of maybe 30 vans were commonplace at various places around the town as they worked on the current area to be restored - quite an amazing exercise ! I had never heard of a gas cut before to such a widespread area - I guess it was perhaps a few thousand households affected

Nick to restore service as quickly as possible

Reply to
Nick

In article , powerstation writes

I doubt that situation would exist indefinitely.

Reply to
Mr X

Was this in the town of Corby Northants by any chance??

tarquinlinbin

Sorry,missed the beginning of this thread,whats the problem? are we talking gas card meters??

tarquinlinbin

Aren't gas isolation valves on the output from the meter?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In article , Dave Plowman (News) writes

For the purposes of my reply to the other poster, if it is then change my comment to "It would if it sensed the gas pressure on its output"

Reply to
Mr X