A bit OT - Fixed me telly problem!

Although we're in the centre of Birmingham, TV reception in my road is awful: The analogue was just snow, while the digital often didn't work, depending on the weather, and would pause for a moment if someone switched a light, or the CH thermostat switched. I had originally tried to set up 2 TVs on a splitter that was in the loft when we moved in, but splitting the signal just made it worse and even the digital never worked on the second set. Had tried a signal booster just before the TV, but that did next to nothing.

I was thinking of a new aerial etc etc but looked into things and decided to try a fix before getting up and falling off the roof.

So...

Got a Labgear masthead amplifier from S/fix and a roll of quality cable (PF100) together with a proper splitter. The amplifier is powered at the TV end, so no need to get mains up into the loft (which was what had put me off amplifiers before).

I put the amplifier at the nearest point to where the aerial comes into the loft, re-cabled the run across the loft to where it drops into a plaster chase, with the splitter just before that point.

Power supply on the other end (using more of the quality cable from the wall socket to that, then to the digibox input - Turned it all on and - bingo! Good signal on everything (even the second set that has never worked), and whole lot of channels I'd never seen before.

Total time (apart from two trips to S/fix), about 1 hour. Total cost, about 30 quid, job done. Well, I was impressed (!)

The moral is that it's hardly rocket science and if your signal is a bit dicky and you don't have any amplifier on or near the aerial, it's well worth a try.

Only trouble is, everyone keeps watching the TV now.....Ah well...

Reply to
GMM