70's stairs

Any thoughts how I how can get these stairs to fit in more with current decor ?

I'm thinking sand down and light stain

(Picture of said stairs)

Reply to
DrLargePants

Or paint white so it blends in with the wall. That paint effect where the grain shows through can be quite nice - not sure how they do it though!

Or replace with chrome and glass ...

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

I took on a 1970s place with similar "ranch style" bannisters. I replaced mine with new handrail, bottom rail and stop chamfered spindles, but left newel posts in tact - all white painted.

Google "stop chamfered spindles" for examples.

Phil

Reply to
thescullster

sand and light stain - plus consider losing the bulky fence rails and putting in stainless steel wire balustrading instead.

Reply to
rick

Stop thinking you can sand or strip the finish unless you really want to take on a long, rotten job. Can't see what the 'current decor' is, other than wood floor.

You can paint the wooden parts. You can remove parts and replace for instance balusters or glass panels.

You can put a pineapple on the newel. that's dead classy. They have them in Downton.

Tim w

Reply to
Tim w

Glass side panels would improve them, and while you are at it, rip out that appalling Wickes flooring and give it to someone with a log burner. Who ever put that junk down, even used all the silly short bits. Wickes got a job lot of this rubbish about 5 years ago (from China, where else). Some of the packs were 50% short bits which are only 300mm long - utterly useless.

The timber isn't even the same species so it has differential expansion characteristics. This wouldn't be an issue if was fitted with the metal clips, but these are impossible to use, so most people glue all the t&g joints. This is where the differential expansion and shrinkage of the varying timber species raises its head, pulling some the planks apart lengthwise along the grain. It also scratches *very* easily.

For not much more than the price they charged (about £40 per sq metre), whoever put it down could have got proper timber in longer lengths, or even decent quality engineered planks that click together.

Travis Perkins (who own Wickes) had a similar product that was intended to be glued or nailed down and the timber was far better quality, but still in packs with too many short, unusable bits.

Reply to
Andrew

It's actually oak engineered floor by Kahars sold in 2.2 meter lengths.

You're entitled not to like it clearly but you are factually entirely wrong !

Take it easy bro

Reply to
DrLargePants

As the PP said it's Kahrs - I laid one of their products, I recognise that.

There is a lot of variation in the wood - that's normal - and I think it's being accentuated by the light.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Correct. It's the flash and the ambient light.

The one strip Kahars was way beyond my budget, this was £23 per m2. Decen t quality for the money IMO

Reply to
DrLargePants