65 Kw alternator continued.

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Harry Bloomfield saying something like:

That's exactly what I used to do. Older alternators were notorious for getting damp and refusing to output. A few hours of gentle heat wafting in the vents often sorted them out and the heat of supplying a moderate load completed the job.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

A short in a winding often doesnt affect the resistance noticeably, but does have a major impact on inductance. If you can measure L you should find any such problem. A simple little oscillator should do that, using the alternator as an inductor.

NT

Reply to
NT