30mA RCD location

I indent to fit a light inside a shower (zone 1). I know it should be connected though a 30mA RCD. What I don't understand is where is should install this RCD. My fuse box does not contain RCDs just traditional fuses.

- Do I need to fit an RCD to the lighting circuit in the fuse box?

- Do the regs prevent me installing the RCD elsewhere (ceiling void)?

Reply to
Iain

SELV is your other option - a suitable 12V light with a separating transformer outside the Zones.

Within reason the RCD can go anywhere where it will be accessible - bear in mind the requirement for regular testing. You could use a 2-module DIN-rail RCD in a separate enclosure near the fusebox. Feed it from a lighting circuit (or a spare fuse-way) and run a separate branch circuit to the shower, or use an RCD spur unit off the lighting circuit near the shower (in Zone 3 or beyond). Don't RCD-protect the whole lighting circuit, just this branch.

Mounting it in a ceiling void implies that it will be inaccessible, so that's not on. Wherever you put it it must be in a proper enclosure.

Reply to
Andy Wade