3 light bulbs in 36 hours

In last 36 hours, three light bulbs have blown in my house. One on the

1st floor light ring, and two on the ground floor ring (these 2 blew the ring fuse as well). Should I be concerned? Normally I only lose a light bulb every 4 to 6 months.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
vince

Most likely just a chance occurance. Start to become concerned if it becomes a regular thing.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Also depends whether they are of a similar age, or at least, a similar number of hours of being on along (or number of switch ons etc).

David Hearn

hats the trouble with a sufdden change in wind direction and a sudden rise in temperature. Mains goes a bit high, and any marginal bulbs pop...I've had three go too.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Would be a lot more concerned if all the light bulbs had "blown" in one particular socket but three going all over the house, within 36hours, you can chalk down to coincidence (may be connected to MTBF and the number of on/off cycles).

Reply to
Soup

You wait for ages and nothing happens, then three blow all at once! Just like buses.

Andy.

Reply to
andrewpreece

I've only ever seen one bus blow at a time. Quite spectacular it was, though. It took days for the scorch marks on the London Road to subside.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

You need a Priest - there is something definatly untoward going on - but the good news it is not likely to be DIY related. :o)

If it gets regular then you may want the ring or ceiling connections checked. How old is the wiring?

dg

Reply to
dg

That normally happens here too. Either the mains has overvolted or more likely you fitted the bulbs at the same time and they have come to the end of their pre-programmed life :-)

Reply to
BillR

I just saw another two on teh same switch had gone tonight. Thats 5 in 4 days now..all candle bulbs apart from one (non Newey and eyre) LV halogen.

Still no failures on those.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

s).

Candle bulbs do seem to have a poor lifetime - I suspect due to the long filament lengths.

I tried different makes to no great effect and eventually just bought a bulk pack of 50.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Ring are definitely the worst.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Check your mains voltage and check the lights are not flickering. The latter might indicate a poor connection which would seriously reduce the life.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I think I got GE ones IIRC......

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

The fitting we have uses them cap up; I blame the short life on the possibility they are meant to burn cap down. This based on experience of T- series theatre lamps which last for minutes if used outside the specified burn angle.

Reply to
Niall

40W is the normal max for cap up on candles and golf balls. The problem is the lamp base (and possibly lampholder) overheating. However, I would not expect it to affect the life of the lamps (unless the overheating generates a bad contact). Usually what happens is the lamp solders itself into the holder.

Thats a different problem -- planear filaments runs are close spaced and can sag into each other if run in a position which the filament supports were not designed for.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Oh, no - no problems like that at all. Its just natural wastage. Candle bulbs seem to last on average about 6-9 months. I have (thinking hard)..35 of them roughly, so I would expect one to go on average...(calculating hard...) every week. It doesn't take much imagination to see that 5 in one week is a bit tough, but will be followed by a month or two in which none go..

As I said, I suspect they had the power stations run up for a cold snap that vanished overnight.

I also get a bit of surge when odd bits of kit come on and off. That 'takes out the stragglers'.

What I suspect, is that the bulbs are on the way out anyway, and teh odd high voltage/switch n surge.whatever just rips through teh 99th percentile as it were. taking out the weak and dying as it does so.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I take it the compact flourescent bulbs are more immune to power supply fluctuations? I have replaced a few incandescent bulbs with energy savers recently - the packaging reckons up to 5 years lifetime depending on the number of switching cycles. (they are great as a main light in the bedroom, the way they come on slowly doesnt blind you first thing in the morning or if you get up in the middle of the night :o)

I've got a pair as outside front door lights - although they are under cover as the front door is recessed as in most Victorian houses. They are on all the hours of darkness. Over three years now...

Reply to
Dave Plowman

"The Natural Philosopher" wrote | I just saw another two on teh same switch had gone tonight. Thats 5 | in 4 days now..all candle bulbs

If they're on the same switch they'll have been running for the same length of time (and were probably first fitted at the same time) so they'll all blow at about the same time?

Owain

Reply to
Owain