3 light bulbs in 36 hours

Page 1 of 2
In last 36 hours, three light bulbs have blown in my house. One on the 1st floor light ring, and two on the ground floor ring (these 2 blew the ring fuse as well). Should I be concerned? Normally I only lose a light bulb every 4 to 6 months.
Thanks in advance.
On 06/01/2004 vince a wrote :

Most likely just a chance occurance. Start to become concerned if it becomes a regular thing.
--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (Lap)
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Also depends whether they are of a similar age, or at least, a similar number of hours of being on along (or number of switch ons etc).
vince wrote:

hats the trouble with a sufdden change in wind direction and a sudden rise in temperature. Mains goes a bit high, and any marginal bulbs pop...I've had three go too.

vince wrote:

Would be a lot more concerned if all the light bulbs had "blown" in one particular socket but three going all over the house, within 36hours, you can chalk down to coincidence (may be connected to MTBF and the number of on/off cycles).
--
Yours S. addy not usable (not that you would try it) ( )
Utinam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant! / \

You wait for ages and nothing happens, then three blow all at once! Just like buses.
Andy.

I've only ever seen one bus blow at a time. Quite spectacular it was, though. It took days for the scorch marks on the London Road to subside.
Christian.
Soup wrote:

I just saw another two on teh same switch had gone tonight. Thats 5 in 4 days now..all candle bulbs apart from one (non Newey and eyre) LV halogen.
Still no failures on those.
s).

Candle bulbs do seem to have a poor lifetime - I suspect due to the long filament lengths.
I tried different makes to no great effect and eventually just bought a bulk pack of 50.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Hall wrote:

Ring are definitely the worst.

I think I got GE ones IIRC......
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

The fitting we have uses them cap up; I blame the short life on the possibility they are meant to burn cap down. This based on experience of T- series theatre lamps which last for minutes if used outside the specified burn angle.
--
Niall

40W is the normal max for cap up on candles and golf balls. The problem is the lamp base (and possibly lampholder) overheating. However, I would not expect it to affect the life of the lamps (unless the overheating generates a bad contact). Usually what happens is the lamp solders itself into the holder.

Thats a different problem -- planear filaments runs are close spaced and can sag into each other if run in a position which the filament supports were not designed for.
--
Andrew Gabriel

On 7 Jan 2004 02:47:11 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

Currently using 60s, never had that problem. Nothing on the packaging about burn angle.
Got one of those catalogue thingies in a sunday paper recently which includes compact flourescents in candle format, which might be worth a try.
--
Niall

On 06/01/2004 The Natural Philosopher a wrote :

Check your mains voltage and check the lights are not flickering. The latter might indicate a poor connection which would seriously reduce the life.
--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (Lap)
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Oh, no - no problems like that at all. Its just natural wastage. Candle bulbs seem to last on average about 6-9 months. I have (thinking hard)..35 of them roughly, so I would expect one to go on average...(calculating hard...) every week. It doesn't take much imagination to see that 5 in one week is a bit tough, but will be followed by a month or two in which none go..
As I said, I suspect they had the power stations run up for a cold snap that vanished overnight.
I also get a bit of surge when odd bits of kit come on and off. That 'takes out the stragglers'.
What I suspect, is that the bulbs are on the way out anyway, and teh odd high voltage/switch n surge.whatever just rips through teh 99th percentile as it were. taking out the weak and dying as it does so.

I take it the compact flourescent bulbs are more immune to power supply fluctuations? I have replaced a few incandescent bulbs with energy savers recently - the packaging reckons up to 5 years lifetime depending on the number of switching cycles. (they are great as a main light in the bedroom, the way they come on slowly doesnt blind you first thing in the morning or if you get up in the middle of the night :o)

I've got a pair as outside front door lights - although they are under cover as the front door is recessed as in most Victorian houses. They are on all the hours of darkness. Over three years now...
--
*Corduroy pillows are making headlines.

a wrote:

I am sure they last longer, but the so called 60W equivalent I put in outside, casts about as much light as a candle.
Frankly, so far they simply don't work for me. bugger all output and very poor color temperature.

There are a couple of issues here. Firstly, I suggest using the type with an outer glass envelope. This will help the fluorescent tube run at the right temperature in cold and possibly windy environment, which will otherwise seriously reduce the light output. Last time I was in IKEA, I noticed they had started doing ones with clear outer glass envelopes which would be good for this application. (The pearl outer envelope always results in some light loss.)
The second issue is that the light source is going to be in a different relative postion from that of a filament lamp. In some luminares, this might result in light not being guided or reflected as was intended for a filament lamp.

They are just about all 2700K, which is same as a filament lamp so the two can be mixed without colour temperature mismatch. Other colour temperatures can be found with some difficuly. However, I've never seen any lower values, and you are very unlikely to want higher values for outdoor nighttime lighting -- they'll look blue.
--
Andrew Gabriel