3 light bulbs in 36 hours

I am sure they last longer, but the so called 60W equivalent I put in outside, casts about as much light as a candle.

Frankly, so far they simply don't work for me. bugger all output and very poor color temperature.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There are a couple of issues here. Firstly, I suggest using the type with an outer glass envelope. This will help the fluorescent tube run at the right temperature in cold and possibly windy environment, which will otherwise seriously reduce the light output. Last time I was in IKEA, I noticed they had started doing ones with clear outer glass envelopes which would be good for this application. (The pearl outer envelope always results in some light loss.)

The second issue is that the light source is going to be in a different relative postion from that of a filament lamp. In some luminares, this might result in light not being guided or reflected as was intended for a filament lamp.

They are just about all 2700K, which is same as a filament lamp so the two can be mixed without colour temperature mismatch. Other colour temperatures can be found with some difficuly. However, I've never seen any lower values, and you are very unlikely to want higher values for outdoor nighttime lighting -- they'll look blue.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Wwell it is a big bulb shaped thing, with a large screw base, and it is yelowish color, about as much as I get from a torch with the battery half flat and is allegedly '60W equivalent' but cvompared with e.g. a

50W LV halogen it is probably 1/10th the output, and compared with a 60W bulb about 2/10ths.

It is, in short utter crap.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I doubt it in this case since one was clear and one pearl, which suggests this isn't the first time they have gone.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Currently using 60s, never had that problem. Nothing on the packaging about burn angle.

Got one of those catalogue thingies in a sunday paper recently which includes compact flourescents in candle format, which might be worth a try.

Reply to
Niall