2.5A 5V DC adaptor

Page 2 of 4
On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 13:07:31 +0000, Grunff wrote:

And up when not on load...

Without question.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail
BWGames wrote:

Of course they do - RS have *everything*.
454-5119
--
Grunff

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 13:10:36 +0000, in uk.d-i-y, Grunff wrote:

Oh yeah... Perfect..
HOW MUCH?!!
*recovers from the shock*
--
BWGames
to email change de.news to de-news
BWGames wrote:

I told you they wouldn't be cheap...
Sorry, buy 5V @2.5A is just not that common, so won't be cheap.
You know what I'd do if it was my router? I'd use an old AT or ATX PSU. Lots of good clean 5V output from that.
--
Grunff

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 13:14:22 +0000, in uk.d-i-y, Grunff wrote:

Ooo, bleddy good idea! I've got lots of ATX PSU's lying about..
Now to find a connector that'll fit the router.. and hope i get polarity right ;)
--
BWGames
to email change de.news to de-news
BWGames wrote:

Who hasn't.

Don't you have the old power supply? You said it was blown. Just chop the lead off that, and splice it onto red/black wires on the ATX.
Check polarity with a multimeter before plugging into router. Router should have diagram telling you whether it needs inner or outer (+).
--
Grunff

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 13:20:20 +0000, in uk.d-i-y, Grunff wrote:

Oh yeah, brilliant! Won't be tidy, but certainly cheaper.
Tho, I did hear problems about using it with no load, I'm assuming the router will provide enough load, - what about if I turn the router off on its back switch? I don't?
--
BWGames
to email change de.news to de-news
BWGames wrote:

Shouldn't have a problem, but as Christian says, if you already have a PC near by, just run a couple of wires to that.
--
Grunff

Just in case no-one suggested it... o Ebay - often laptop-style SMPS bricks on there ---- they are regulated, DC ---- many are 12V, however I've seen 5Von there too ---- a 36W 5V or 12V unit is about 5-6ukp usually
o Rapid Electronics - can be cheap on some PSU ---- at least relative to RS who can be pricey
o Do a wanted on uk.adverts.computer ---- someone may have a deceased item with ok wall-wart
Pity it's not 12V, altho as suggested if you have a PC near you can tap into the 5V supply from that (red & black on a HD connector).
Ditto for 12V with many Switches that use irritating 12V wall-warts. -- Dorothy Bradbury www.stores.ebay.co.uk/panaflofan for fans, books & other items

AT is easier. The ATX might be a pain if it doesn't have a motherboard to chat to. The AT will be easier to turn on and off, too.
Alternatively, if there is a server computer in the same cupboard, or you just connect the modem to the adjacent normal computer (AT or ATX), a bit of cable attached to a spare hard disk power connecter could be good.
AT power supplies are excellent. I ran a car hi-fi off one for ages. Fantastic regulation! No dimming of the lights when turned up.
Christian.
Tell me about it. I needed one for my D-Link network switch when the old one blew up. It's a tiny wall wart with a switching supply in it and no ventilation, so it cooks itself and dies.
I did the same as Ben - looked around for a replacement 2.6A PSU. They were all pretty much too expensive, but I'm sure I found a suitable one at Maplin for about 20 quid.
Being tight-fisted, I then went through a box of electronic junk and found an old external SCSI case with PSU. The 5v line on that was rated for 2.5A, so I took it out and built it into an enclosure, using the old cable cut off from the wall-wart. As I was putting the finishing touches to it, a work colleague came along:
colleague: what are you doing? me: I'm building a PSU from scrap as I'm too tight to buy a new one c: what's it for? m: a D-Link switch c: you do know D-Link have a lifetime warranty on their stuff? m: !"$%^"$!
One phone call to D-Link later, and a replacement PSU was in the post.

Thought of that too, as the switch is next to the PC. 2.5A is a fair amount to draw off a PC PSU though, especially a fast Athlon system with all the toys and only a 300W PSU.
--
A. Top posters.
On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 14:00:29 +0000, Mike Tomlinson

Just checked my Vigor stuff - I have a 3-year warranty on my router on a RTB basis. However, I wouldn't be surprised if any reputable manufacturer wouldn't simply post out a new PSU under warranty.
Has the OP checked his warranty ? Has ADSL even been around 3 years ??
--
The mailman bringeth... The trashman taketh away!

Mail john rather than nospam...
On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 16:59:58 +0000, in uk.d-i-y, John Laird wrote:

I emailed Draytek, and they said to contact SEG (a supplier). Got an email just now - they'll send one out for ?15 inc vat and del, which is bloody good :)
I'll do that methinks...
Ben
--
BWGames
to email change de.news to de-news

Result :-) Did you not have a 3-year warranty though, or no proof of such ?
--
It takes years to get used to how old you are.

Mail john rather than nospam...
On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 18:19:53 +0000, in uk.d-i-y, John Laird wrote:

No proof. I bought it second hand...
--
BWGames
to email change de.news to de-news
Grunff wrote:

That will teach you to look in RS ;-)
Now go back to CPC and look for Switch mode PSUs - order code PW0051266 should do the job - 5V 2.5A (might even have the right plug on it!)
--
Cheers,

John.

supply lots of amps at 5 volts. It won't be very tidy but will be cheaper.

But not a 9 volt 160VA toroidal mains transformer, which Maplin do, although it's to order rather than stock. And their 'open' toroidals seem to be cheaper than RS as well.
--
*Young at heart -- slightly older in other places

Dave Plowman wrote:

That surprises me.

Maplin are almost always cheaper, and are my preferred supplier for that reason. The service is nearly as good as RS, and the range is pretty good. But if Maplin don't have it, I try RS next.
--
Grunff

With every catalogue that comes out Maplin's stock of proper parts takes a huge hit. Mind you there does seem to be a better chance of the shops actually having the reduced range in stock. RS are often expensive, but you're paying for that "Will be here 10am tomorrow" thing which can be priceless. Maplin's equivalent "Errr, maybe next week sometime" doesn't really match it.
--
Niall