Looking for long, stiff pipes

I'm looking for a vendor who can supply 25-foot long stainless steel tubes / pipes for a "home improvement" project I'm working on. I'm suspending a 24 x 40 foot fabric canopy horizontally over my swimming pool. One (narrow) end of the canopy will be attached to the pipe along the canopy's 24-foot length, so that rotating the pipe via attached handle will wind the canopy up like a big window shade.

The pipe will be supported at the ends by two flanged bearings. In order to keep the canopy reasonably flat (not sagging), it has to be under about 200 pounds of tension, hence the pipe needs to be stiff enough not to deflect much under this degree of lateral force. The force is distributed along the length of the tube, but the tube is supported only at the ends, hence the need for stiffness.

I'm thinking that what I need is stainless-steel pipe, 2 inches OD, with at least a 1/4 inch thick wall.

Now to the question: Where can I buy a couple of 25-foot long stainless-steel pipes, with a 2 inch OD and 1/4 inch wall thickness? Someone must sell these things.

Thanks for any leads.

Kevin

P.S. Any advice on materials or dimensions would also be appreciated. Thanks!

Reply to
Kevin Thompson

Pipe is available in many diameters and wall thicknesses. The material you choose and the wall thickness (or "schedule") is directly proportionate to the thickness of your wallet. Any good welder will be able to make the pipe any length you want. Be prepared to spend the bucks on what we Canucks refer to as a "B-pressure" welder. This person will be more familiar with welding pipe that is required to pass close scrutiny than a "fabrication" welder. I am curious why you would choose stainless, though. It may be cheaper to by steel pipe, and have it powder coated. Alternatively, you may consider going to an RV dealer, and having an awning custom made.

Reply to
Lori & Dean Wigmore

As Dean said, the pipe will have to be welded for any length over 21'. Schedule 40 stainless steel pipe is the most common and therefore the cheapest and easiest to obtain. The wall thickness is about 1/4" but there is no size that is 2" outside diameter. Schedule 40 pipe of 2" nominal size has an O.D. of 2.375". 1-1/2" pipe has an O.D. of 1.9". With these dimensions you will have trouble finding bearings to fit. A machine shop can easily fabricate axles of proper diameter that would be welded inside the ends of the canopy rod.

A good sized pipe wholesaler can supply stainless schedule 40.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Monson

Correction:

Schedule 40 pipe has a wall closer to 1/8". For heavier wall use schedule

  1. O.D. is the same.
Reply to
Mark Monson