length markings on sewer snake?

I have a General with a 3/4" cable and have tried paint to mark lengths, but it doesn't last. Is there a method of doing this maybe with fiber of some sort tied onto the inner cable? thanks Bill

but
If you figure out something let us all know, cause im curious as well
On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 00:08:33 GMT, "Runningwater"

Differnet color tape. Electrical or duck. ie green at 20' red at 40 and so on. about every 2 or 3 sewers, pull old tape off and retape as you send it down the pipe.
If you set your welder on a low setting and lightly touch the cable with your electrode, it will leave a little scorch mark on the cable that is permanant. Every 20-feet works great. I've tried tape and paint and the only thing that was permanant was the welder mark. It's a good question though. I wish they manufactured some sort of markers for sewer cables.
On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 00:08:33 GMT, "Runningwater"

See this is why you should listen to these old guys,, I would have never thought of this, and have been struggling estimating lenghts for years. Im just gonna do this, but maybe a small tack at 10 ft. lenghts.
Where do I send the consutation fee at? Cause this is a wondeful idea!

can you see the marks when the cable is messy, or can you only feel them? bill
wrote:

lengths,
some
You'll be able to see the marks. It's just a mark. It is visible. But you're not marking it with dayglo yellow. If you get into some real nasty work, it's not going to be super easy to see. You can put larger marks on there if want. That's a personal choice. I recommend marking enough to see. If you get too agressive with that welder, you may fuck up your cable.
On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 15:22:43 GMT, "bill allemann"

Has anyone tried using a carbide tipped engraver to mark the snake at intervals?
Engravers are US$18 at a local hobby shop.
--Winston