length markings on sewer snake? (2023 Update)

I have a General with a 3/4" cable and have tried paint to mark lengths, but it doesn't last. Is there a method of doing this maybe with fiber of some sort tied onto the inner cable? thanks Bill

Reply to
bill allemann

If you figure out something let us all know, cause im curious as well

Reply to
Runningwater

If you figure out something let us all know, cause im curious as well

Reply to
Runningwater

Differnet color tape. Electrical or duck. ie green at 20' red at 40 and so on. about every 2 or 3 sewers, pull old tape off and retape as you send it down the pipe.

Reply to
Ebo Walker

If you set your welder on a low setting and lightly touch the cable with your electrode, it will leave a little scorch mark on the cable that is permanant. Every 20-feet works great. I've tried tape and paint and the only thing that was permanant was the welder mark. It's a good question though. I wish they manufactured some sort of markers for sewer cables.

Reply to
Blackbeard

The weld tack may be the only permanent way to do it. In any case, marking the cable is a great idea. Maybe the machine itself could have a counter that runs off a rubber wheel contacting the cable as it feeds out, or to get more high tech, a digital counter that uses some kind of optics so that it doesn't need to touch the cable.

MM

Reply to
Mark Monson

See this is why you should listen to these old guys,, I would have never thought of this, and have been struggling estimating lenghts for years. Im just gonna do this, but maybe a small tack at 10 ft. lenghts.

Where do I send the consutation fee at? Cause this is a wondeful idea!

Reply to
Runningwater

can you see the marks when the cable is messy, or can you only feel them? bill

Reply to
bill allemann

You'll be able to see the marks. It's just a mark. It is visible. But you're not marking it with dayglo yellow. If you get into some real nasty work, it's not going to be super easy to see. You can put larger marks on there if want. That's a personal choice. I recommend marking enough to see. If you get too agressive with that welder, you may f*ck up your cable.

Reply to
Blackbeard

Has anyone tried using a carbide tipped engraver to mark the snake at intervals?

Engravers are US$18 at a local hobby shop.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I am thinking of electrical heat shrink tubing and maybe some super glue gel before I shrink it. Have to see how long it will last. I know they make some extra thick heat shrink but don't know where to get it locally.

Reply to
mlkary

I am thinking electrical heat shrink tubing with maybe some super glue gel before shrinking. It comes in colors.

Reply to
mlkary