Anything I can pour into water heater that will dissolve deposits?

I'm 25 miles south of Tucson in Green Valley so my water quality must be close to yours. Very hard! I'd guess that over half the people here have softeners. We don't yet because there's no iron in the water to discolor things. I'm sure we'd have one if we had a basement like everywhere else we've lived. It's hard to redo the plumbing when everything's buried under the slab. So the options are 100% softened which we don't want. Or only hot water softened which doesn't work out well since the cold water is so warm.

If you absolutely must experiment with a scale dissolving acid, use oxalic acid, which you can buy as automotive radiator flush. It is more potent than acetic acid, and far less harmful than muriatic (hydrochloric) acid. $$-wise it will be less costly, but you're still going to spend a fair amount, since the capacity of a typical automotive system (one package) is 1/10th or less of a water heater. HTH
Joe

just as suspect as your hot water heater) it's cheap insurance. it preserves your pipes and your hot water tank. and it doesn't use that much water on recharge. it exchanges out Ca, Mg, preferentially, and Fe and Mn if you add a calcium chloride pretreatment tank.

now can bring your pipes back over time, if they've narrowed from deposits.

water route here in NH. there's no going back.....
Consider the flow through capacitor for water softening. They used to make "home units" but I don't see the link on their web page anymore: http://www.flowtc.com/drg_home.html

If you are looking to get the calcium out of your heater you should determine the age of the heater. If it's more then ten years get a new one. Ten is the average life. I have in the past taken the drain valve off and split a copper pipe length ways and made a long thin scoop and dug out the calcium. Vinegar will dissolve calcium but thats allot of vinegar. I would never buy a softener again. Not with the new saltless water softener. The saltless softener will remove all the hardness in your water heater and all existing pipes. You can see it on my web site at this address. http://shop.waterchoices.com/product.sc?categoryId=7&productId

I wouldn't take that 10 years figure as gospel. Most of the units I've "lived" with have lasted much longer. The unit in my last house was 33 years old when I sold it in 2006. The unit in my mother's house lasted from 1960 to 1990 before I replaced it for her. The new one is 17 years old and still going strong. The original was installed before 1946 so it was at least 14 years old when replaced.

The unit you refer to with your link is at least somewhat controversial.
FWIW: http://tinyurl.com/2qalrn