Your Opinions On "Smart Meters"

Credit card. Many people have $5000 to $25 000 available on credit card then just pay back the money out of the bank to pay it off when it's convenient later in week or whatnot.

You can't use a credit card at all places but still it allows for emergency flexibility.

Reply to
Duesenberg

These days, credit cards don't work if the data line is down. In any serious emergency, that is likely. Same with any kind of plastic or even the ATMs. These days they are becoming reluctant to cash a check a lot of places if they can't scan it back to your bank. A lot of times, the actual check is superfluous. You get debited as soon as they scan MICR off the check. Some merchants will hand it right back to you.

Reply to
gfretwell

Junk silver if you are worried about the end of the world.

Reply to
Mr. Austerity

Having your emergency money in a bank is like having your fire extinguisher in a storage unit, across town. Which storage unit is only accessable during business hours.

Dumb.

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

When the world ends, I've got Mormon food storage. You have junk silver. I'm going home and fix some dinner. What are you going to do? Go out and try to convince hungry people to give up their last can of beans in exchange for a piece of metal with a face embossed on it? Good luck.

.

Junk silver if you are worried about the end of the world.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That's the idea, 90% silver in coins to be used as real silver, gold for more expensive items. Also guns, ammo and whiskey. A lot of Americans could live a good 3 months on their stored fat.

Reply to
Mr. Austerity

So, everyone is hungry. I've got food, and you've got shiny pieces of metal with faces on them. You gonna be hungry to the end, fellah. When the stores are empty, my food might be bartered, or even given away (particularly to children, who are innocent of their parents problems). But, not sold. Thy money perish with thee.

.

That's the idea, 90% silver in coins to be used as real silver, gold for more expensive items. Also guns, ammo and whiskey. A lot of Americans could live a good 3 months on their stored fat.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Since I'll be 60 this year...

Reply to
krw

One word; plastics.

I have a few grand in cash, too. Never know when a nice pistol will show up cheap. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Depends on what you consider "emergency" money. Need to quickly replace a failed appliance? There is a reserve in the bank to cover that easily. Need actual hard cash? I keep a minimal amount in the house and never had need to have a pile of it. I can get $800 from the ATM pretty much 24 hours a day. If I see an impending storm and want cash, I get it beforehand.

Never had a car break down where a credit card did not work.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

End of civilization stuff. Interesting to think about. Things would probably go somewhat like this.

Mr. Austerity

That's a thought provoking article. Sadly, it also comes with one of the most obnoxious slide in ads I've ever seen. The print version is much better for me.

'm guessing the folks in Leningrad at that time would have preferred a truck full of chicken soup, opposed to a truck load of silver coins.

.

End of civilization stuff. Interesting to think about. Things would probably go somewhat like this.

Stormin Mormon

Credit card.

Reply to
Metspitzer

You're right, and a credit card will cover 99.9% of contingencies.

It won't cover "Your money or your life" scenarios (middle of the night plumbing problem, wrecker charge to remove car stuck in your bedroom leaking gasoline, etc.).

Reply to
HeyBub

After some disasters, like hurricanes. The power is out, so the credit card doesn't do much. In moments like that,

1) Best is to have what you need at home, purchased long before the disaster 2) If you need something, and it's available, cash is the way to pay.

.

Credit card.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Which cannot be used when there is a widespread power outage: the card-readers won't work.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

In an uber wide spread, catastrophic problem. Some people will wonder if the system will ever recover. So, people may be unwilling to accept plastic. On the chance that Visa and MC will not come back to life.

.

Which cannot be used when there is a widespread power outage: the card-readers won't work.

Perce

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Or bribes.

Reply to
krw

First, let me say my electronic assembly service company built several thousand printed circuit boards a few years ago that were used in a smart meter demonstration in Tacoma, WA. I can assure everyone there is no capability in any so-called smart meter to remotely shut off your electricity. In Oregon, that would in fact be illegal. To disconnect a customer's power, a service person must first determine there is no medical reason for service to be uninterrupted at that location. then they can pull the meter.

Second, I own an old farm house, started in 1924, that I had converted to heat pump with electric furnace back up. This entailed replacing the pole transformer and all to wiring to and including the first breaker box.

The old mechanical meter had been mounted decades ago and had to have the stainless locking ring ripped off to remove the meter. A new smart-meter was installed as part of the new wiring.

Due to not understanding the new programmable thermostat, the renter experienced enormous power bills. The power company insisted the meter was reading correctly and read the meter remotely from Salt Lake City during tests with the tenant. They even sent a service person to remove and physically test the meter.

Finally I was at my wits end and got the electrician to meet me at the house. He used his clamp-on meter to check his wiring and all was ok. We discovered the problem was the thermostat would kick in the backup heating anytime there was a 2 degree difference in temperature. The thermostat was set to 65 at night and 72 during the day. When set to constant 72, no backup ever came on. Problem solved!

While discussing the problem with the electrician, he told me a secret:

The old mechanical meter only read the power usage from one leg of the

240 volt line. Power usage at 120 volts on the other leg got by free. In addition, he said electricians would sometimes swap the metered legs so the excess usage of 120 volt appliances would not be read by the meter. This is why some people are able to use the 120 volt space heaters in certain rooms of their house with no increase in electrical usage/bill.

The new smart meter actually measures the power usage in both legs and determines the actual total power being used. This is why some customers see a big increase in their electric bill when the old mechanical meter is replaced with a smart-meter.

The meter reader uses a hand held transceiver to interrogate the smart meter. That is the only time the meter will ever transmit on it's VHF/UHF frequency.

When the meter is remotely read, as mine was, a very low frequency is used, somewhere in the 300-400 KHz area. The power levels and frequencies are so low they could never cause medical problems. If they did, your standard broadcast stations would not be useable.

I hope this story helps you understand a little more about electric meters. It will probably stir up more criticism, as well.

Paul in Central Oregon

Reply to
Paul Drahn

Pssssssst! Hey Paul! I got a bridge I'll sell ya. Interested?

Reply to
Harry Johnson