YOU KNOW YOU LIVE ON THE GULF COAST WHEN

\\(stolen from another newsgroup) YOU KNOW YOU LIVE ON THE GULF COAST WHEN ... You have FEMA's number on your speed dialer. (That is, only if you want a government employee to tell you *NO* to all requests to give or receive aid.) You have more than 300 C and D batteries in your kitchen drawer. Your pantry contains more than 20 cans of Spaghetti Os. You are thinking of repainting your house to match the plywood covering your windows. When describing your house to a prospective buyer, you say it has three bedrooms, two baths and one safe hallway. Your SSN isn't a secret, it's written in Sharpie on your arms. You are on a first-name basis with the cashier at Home Depot. You are delighted to pay $3 for a gallon of regular unleaded. The road leading to your house has been declared a No-Wake Zone. You decide that your patio furniture looks better on the bottom of the pool. You own more than three large coolers. You can wish that other people get hit by a hurricane and not feel the least bit guilty about it. You rationalize helping a friend board up by thinking "It'll only take a gallon of gas to get there and back." You have 2-liter coke bottles and milk jugs filled with water in your freezer. Three months ago you couldn't hang a shower curtain; today you can assemble a portable generator by candlelight. You catch a 13-pound redfish in your driveway. You can recite from memory whole portions of your homeowner's insurance policy. You consider a "vacation" to stunning Tupelo, Mississippi. At cocktail parties, women are attracted to the guy with the biggest chainsaw. You have had tuna fish more than 5 days in a row. There is a roll of tar paper in your garage. You can rattle off the names of three or more meteorologists who work for the Weather Channel. Someone comes to your door to tell you they found your roof. Ice is a valid topic of conversation. Your "drive-thru" meal consists of MRE's and bottled water. Relocating to South Dakota does not seem like such a crazy idea. You spend more time on your roof than in your living room. You've been laughed at over the phone by a roofer, fence builder or a tree worker. A battery powered TV is considered a home entertainment center. You don't worry about relatives wanting to visit during the summer. Your child's first words are "hunker down" and you didn't go to UGA! Having a tree in your living room does not necessarily mean it's Christmas. Toilet Paper is elevated to "coin of the realm" at the shelters. You know the difference between the "good side" of a storm and the "bad side." Your kids start school in August and finish in July. You go to work early and stay late just to enjoy the air conditioning.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'm sure some of this is true, but did you see the idiots on TV last night and today? They are screaming for help to get water. You live in Florida. You get hurricanes every year. You knew this was coming. Why didn't you have 4 or 10 cases of water last April? Why do you need your propane tank filled today when you knew it was empty last week and a hurricane was coming?

Sad to see the loss of life property, but there is NO excuse not to have basic supplies on hand when you know this is going to happen in advance.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Hear hear. I wonder how many complaining are new residents, though.

Banty

Reply to
Banty

As heartless as your words sound, there is a chunk of truth in there. If I was motivated to live in Florida, I would certainly make some basic preparations for storms that come as often as they do there. Realize that some of those people may have lost their stash of supplies when their trailer blew away, but then it isn't so bright an idea to live in a trailer in Florida.

If you live anywhere along the Gulf Coast or southern Atlantic Coast, keep your relationship with cousin Zeke in Nashville on good terms so that you have a place to go for a short vacation when the wind and rain come a-knockin'. The storms are different now... a much nastier bunch. "Riding it out" is for knuckleheads.

++
Reply to
Mitchell

OK, I was not going to say anything, did not want to say anything bad if do not have anything to say good, that line.

However I can not resist now, can only agree, it is only common sense, some people are just missing that gene.

Reply to
MC

I watch essentially no TV. However, I've read my share of email posts. I think the dependence on Uncle is just shameful. Those are aparently not mature adults. Just over grown dependent children.

I live in NYS, and have a good stock of supplies. Cause we do power cuts and snow storms every year. Actually, I was doing emergency preps long time before I joined the LDS church.

Wonder how many of them get through the hurricane, and decide to take all the bottled water back for a refund. Or, more likely, when the hurricane diverts and misses. "we didn't need this after all".

Reply to
Stormin Mormon