Yet another toilet / flapper question

My first question - Has it always done this?

2) Have you tried a new Kohler flapper? I would try that first. Its inexpensive and will guide you as to what to try next.

3) if its always done this, and a new Kohler flapper doesn't solve then try the following next.

You say that the chain pull somewhat sideways and you suspect this is causing the issue. Can the arm from the flush handle be bent so it is positioned directly over the flapper? If its plastic, try replacing it with a handle with a brass rod that can be bent into correct position.

Did that fix it? if not - check to make sure there is no debris or damage to the flange the flapper sits on.

if not - Call Kohler, see if they can offer a suggestion.

if not - Consider replacing the entire flapper/flange/overflow. Typically they are one assembly. Not sure about your specific model.

DO NOT - Get the fluid master flapper/flange combo with glue that sticks to the existing flange. These have never worked well for me. I ended up pulling it out and replacing the stuff as mentioned in previous step.

So - As you can see - Check obvious, try less involved, less expensive things first. Worst comes to worst replace the troublesome parts and everything they touch.

Reply to
No

I'm trying to help a neighbor diagnose and repair a problem with her rather new (and expensive) Kohler Rialto low flush toilet. She seems to have accepted the fact that she often has to jiggle the flush valve to stop the draining past the flapper into the bowl which causes, of course, repeated short refills. Observing the mechanism, I noted something which I've not seen discussed here or in the Kohler literature: the arm which holds the chain connected to the flapper valve does not extend to the center of the tank, and therefore when the toilet is flushed, the chain pulls the flapper somewhat off center to the left. Altho the flapper parts are quite flexible, this off center pull-off from the seat generally results in the flapper, in its return as the tank empties, to land off center onto its seat, resulting in incomplete shut off of the water flowing into the bowl.

The problem looks so obvious I can't believe others have not experienced it. I'm considering getting a replacement flapper, perhaps of another brand to see if this problem won't recur, but I've noticed that one poster in June concluded that he bought two replacements which did not help what sounds like a similar problem. (This is a flapper unit which fits around a rectangular overflow pipe, and so is not so "standard" as the types which merely clip onto a couple of little studs.) But perhaps, do you think a name brand like Fluidmaster might have a solution to this? I'm hesitant to call Kohler for fear of getting a scripted answer ("is it plugged in?" . . . "have you tried re-formatting and rebooting" or some such advice)

Thanksinadvance Art drartie atsign attd0tnet

Reply to
Arthur

Thanks for the quick response. 1) Yes 2) No but that's what I'll try next. The arm is metal and in a position where bending anything couldn't help I will bite the bullet and call Kohler, as well, and keep you poster. I don't wnat to do anything that might ivalidate the warranty, but it's unlikely that changing a rubber gizmo can be considered an unauthorized repair

Art

Reply to
Arthur

I think I have a similar model Rialto or maybe close to it, low profile single piece Kohler toilet. It's had a drip since day one and I tried two replacement flappers from HD specifically made for my model. Neither of them even fit, which was strange since I even bought the unit at HD. I never felt like wasting my time on the phone for a toilet. I forgot about it becuase I think I've only heard it self-flush like once or twice in the past three years.

Reply to
sleepdog

Thanks, guys. I bit the bullet and called the Kohler help line and was surprised by the speed and efficiency with which I was "answered." The customer rep appeared to be quite familiar with the problem and specified exactly which link of the chain that hook should be on (the

6th from the flapper) as well as reminding me that the hook should be on the hole at the end of the lever. She said I probably didn't need a new flapper. Nevertheless, I bought a new flapper and installed it per her instructions, and currently it appears to be working. I do have some lingering doubts about the design of this system, since the flapper continues to be pulled a bit off center and lands on the valve seat only a fraction of an inch (? 1/16th inch) away from leaving a gap through which water will leak. But after many test flushes it has not leaked.

-=Art=-

Reply to
Arthur