yellow jackets

Page 1 of 2

Have any of you found a product that yellow jackets will carry down into their underground lair which will poison the entire hive - much like ant bait? These are between a concrete foundation and block porch so anything flammable is out of the question. Anything that I spray at them just ticks them off and after the initial kill off they are livid. I tossed a shovelful of morter mix onto the hole and then sprayed it with water a good while after dark. By mid morning they had tunneled around it. Tenacious little buzzers! I more than a little concerned for the grandkids who, in spite of warnings and observation, could wander into them.
As always, TIA! Chuck

Have you tried a liquid that will penetrate over time? Or a powder like Diazanon that will linger?
Best to work at night when they are not active and they are in the hive.
23:33:26 -0400, C & E wrote:

I've wiped out yellow jacket nests with about a half-gallon of Demand CS, a long lasting, micro-encapsulated pyrethrin. I used a sprayer set to stream mode, and filled the entry hole with the liquid from about ten feet away. I did this at dusk, just before total darkness.
Demand CS is a professional product, and banned in some states. You'll probably have to buy it over the web. It's relatively safe, as insecticides go, but it's shipped in highly concentrated form, which means it needs to be mixed carefully, with appropriate safeguards. Here's the data page for Demand CS: www.syngentaprofessionalproducts.com/prodrender/index.aspx?prodid33
Be warned - this is *not* an instant kill product. It will take a day or two, but you should wipe out the nest.
--
Seth Goodman

Over the years ive killed maybe 15 nests with Ortho Seven, its easy

Thanks, Ed and Seth. I'm right on it!!

Real simple method, no poison. Take a clear plastic container, or glass bowl, at night, press it into the dirt and above their hole. Make sure there are no openings, but leave a good air space in the bowl. If you use a plastic container, put a rock on top to weight it down. As long as the wasps can see daylight when they exit the hole, they make no attempt to dig around the bowl and within a week, they die

Neat idea. I'm a bit paranoid of doing this at night because of the sentrys and the limited access to the entry. I'm going to give this some thought, though.

If you do it, don't carry a flashlight unless it's covered with a red lens

I've killed many a nest by simply inverting a glass bowl over the entrance. They can see light through the bowl and thus dont bother to dig around it. Within a few days there are piles of dead wasps on the ground around the rim.
I'd try that before I'd use chemicals
-dickm

C & E wrote:

in the hole. Carbon monoxide should kill them all in time.
--
Blattus Slafaly ? 3 :) 7/8

Pulls hose out after like 30 min. Gets stung to hell. Follow-up posting reaming Blattus a new asshole. Blattus replies asking how long he ran the car. OP responds, "The car had to be running?".
Red Green wrote:

If you have to be told to start the car, never mind the bees.
--
Blattus Slafaly ? 3 :) 7/8

Well, I didn't put a ":-)". Hope it wasn't taken as you forgot to tell him to start the car!
Blattus Slafaly wrote:

--
Blattus Slafaly ? 3 :) 7/8

C & E wrote:

I've used Methoxychlor 50WP, just toss a big pinch down the hole in the evening and they will get it on their feet and track it into the nest and kill the whole hive in about 24 hours. Sevin dust will also work, I just had the methoxychlor handy; use 10% Sevin if you can find it instead of the usual 5%.
HTH, Bob

Wasp and hornet spray, shortly after sundown, has never failed me.

Two cans have failed me. No dice. I think that it's a very large infestation.

It may be very big. I'd go for something diluted with water and pour a gallon or two over a few days so it saturates.
C & E wrote:

You need to use an insecticide *dust* not a liquid. See my other post for more details.
Bob
On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 21:20:04 -0400, C & E wrote: <cut>

Seven Works for me everytime. I had some YJ infest my front lawn and I basically took some and clogged their holes with it. Within a few days, No more bees.
Ive done the same for black ants that infested a tree out back. It only took a few days there. Gone. All dead.
coffee