Wrong gas dryer line?

The rental unit is only 2 years old. No complaint from previous tenant about gas dryer (not sure if they ever put in one). Current tenant bought a gas dryer from Frys and said the manager of Frys came back a few times with all the hookup sizes .. couldn't find a correct one and said the current gas line is of wrong size, that it belongs to the kitchen range. Not sure how that is possible. If the gas line in the laundry room is wrong, wouldn't the city inspector have noticed that? It was inspected after completion and passed.

Reply to
tedqn

IMO, the manager of Fryes has no clue. What is wrong about it? What size is it and why is he having a problem?

If the line is too large, you just step it down with the proper fittings. If it is too small, it must be replaced as gas flow will not be adequate for proper operation of the burner. Appliance size is the determining factor of the line size.

The city inspector can OK the line as to the fact it is not leaking at the test, but if there was no appliance, he'd have no idea what the intended use is.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Not necessarily.

mm

who is responsible in the lease for the appliance installation: perhaps just have the responsible party call a licensed plumber? what is not screwing into what? where is the pipe size wrong, what size is it now, what size do they think they need there? there are assorted sizes and styles and male or female and other gas shutoffs to be installed at the end of for example a 3/4" or 1/2" Inside Diameter gas line. why it passed inspection just fine may be unrelated to this problem, maybe there's a bad stripped thread on the end of the pipe. required gas capacity specifications are in a clothes dryer manual. how this information applies in your local area correctly is subject to local climates and code requirements.

Reply to
buffalobill

Strange comment, I would assume a gas stove with all burners and oven on would use more gas than a dryer.

Reply to
Jeff

I fully agree. a half inch pipe is all you need for a dryer. Most average sized home furnaces use half inch pipe too. Most gas ranges use 3/4" pipe. Consider that it's possible to have up to six flames burning at once. (4 burners, top and bottom oven burners).

The problem with posts like this is that the OP never said the size, so how can anyone give a useful reply. However, I'd never trust the hookup guys from these appliance stores. They hire some kid with large muscles so they can move the appliances, and most are competent enough to plug a refrigerator into an outlet. After that, any other hookup is beyond their mental capacity. Apparently big muscles means small brain.

Reply to
maradcliff