worlds slowest ceiling fan.

Page 1 of 2
Hello Group.
I just installed a ceiling fan but the darn thing turns soooooo sloooooow. I called hunter tech support which is the worst i have ever seen.
the fan turns very slow on the fastest setting it turns as fast as the slowest setting should turn about 50rpms. tech support told me that it could be the reciver for remote. i dont think it is. i think i may have to take the whole fan down again and check to see if all the wires are making a good connection. i had a hard time with the 2 wires that come out of the ceiling and am wondering if they are connected but just a little loose would that cause the fan to turn sooooo slooooooow.
thank you.
Frank
Frankly wrote:

Google: Ceiling + fan + slow = 2,740,000 hits. I've reviewed them all and concluded:
Bad capacitor. http://www.ceiling-fans-n-more.com/ceiling-fan-general-troubleshooting-and-FAQ.php#4

http://www.ceiling-fans-n-more.com/ceiling-fan-general-troubleshooting-and-FAQ.php#4 i did that search and came up with the bad capacitor. i hope it is located in the reciever for the remote because that is what they are sending me. tech support for hunter suck and the wire diagrams on both the web site and in the box do not match the wires I have. so i guess i can leave the wires the way they are and hope this capacitor is located within the remotes reciever.
thanks to all for their help.
Frank.
Frankly wrote:

Unless the fan's motor is inside the remote control, I don't think you'll find the capacitor there.
HeyBub wrote:

AQ.php#4
Life is just filled with one disappointment after another :)
--

dadiOH
____________________________

they are actually sending me the receiver that sits in the fan. its not that I had an idea of what was wrong when I was talking to her ( hunters tech support) I just didn't get the feeling she was going to get it right. and couldnt see how it could be the receiver that was doing this. I did get 2 of these fans and going to install the other one in the bedroom tomorrow. I should have just came here. i will call their tech support again and mention the capacitor to them. i am sure if i hand them the answer they will send me the right part. thank you again.
Frank
I hope you get a good answer on this, I have 2 identical fans on a common wall switch, and when independently or simultaneously the one is much much slower than its twin. Like you I could have made a boo boo wiring it, but out of dozens I've installed, this is the only one with the slows.

would it make a difference if you wired it parallel vs single. or how ever its called or if there is even a choice. i am thinking if the juice has to go through one fan to get to the other.
Frank

50 revolutions per millisecond? <bg>
-zero

It looked like normal sloppiness. Someone hadn't considered that "revolutions per minutes" doesn't make sense.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

My hunter fan has a dual capacitor in it and when it is removed, the fan runs slowly (and overheats).
You have a defective capacitor.

The others have solved your problem, but for the record, you shouldn't make a connection whose tightness you'll have any doubt about later but I've never seen a case where a loose connection did something but diddn't work completely. I'm not talking about a case where a light goes on and off, but even that might prove my point. It may be so loose that it goes off some times, but when it is on, it's usually at full brightness. If it's not fully bright, it's because it's about to off again.

Do you have any qualms about taping a wire nutted connection? mm wrote:

I don't tape mine, but that's not because of qualms. Would I have qualms about relying on tape to work after the wire nuts came loose? I think so.
I don't think the wirenuts whould some loose.
There have been threads here involving other people than me about wirenuts and taping.
BTW, I'm not a pro and only do a few connections a year, some years none.

I just installed the second fan. Same problem. takes almost 6 seconds to make 1 rotation on the slowest speed. high speed is about 60rpm.

About this time, I 'm thinking you should have given us the brand and model of fan. I don't think you did.

i really thought the second fan was going to work :(. 65" Brushed Nickel Model number 21871 Owners Manual = when you get to figure 6A - this is where the problem may resove itself. the diagram looks fine except that it is missing a red and white white comming out of the reciever. i connected those wires to the red and white of the fan and then connected those 4 wires to the white power wire. also missing in the diagram is the white "neutral in" that i have connected to 1 green ground wire in the ceiling plate and another from inside the fan. http://www.hunterfanhq.com/hiw-prod/orderinv/frames/ps_frame.htm
Parts Guide http://www.hunterfanhq.com/tools/sales/hunter/preseason/images/parts/98000-01-070.pdf
thank you Frank

Time for a volt meter check.

just curious.. what if i do check it and its low. what will be needed to do? the people upstairs have a ceiling fan and it works fine.
Frank