Woodworking Forum

Please recommend a good online forum for woodworking. As I head for my sunset years, I may want to finally start learning how to build simple things for my home, such as bookcases, built-in shelving, and racks. I've always had the tools, but I've never had the space.
mcp6453 wrote:

How is it that you have discovered this newsgroup (alt.home.repair) yet you seem unable to similiarly discover woodworking groups on usenet?
Are you preparing to reply to your own post by spamvertising some website?
On 7/18/2013 8:32 AM, Home Guy wrote:

No, of course not. I've been a participant in this group for quite a while. With 10 seconds of research, you would have seen that I'm not a spammer.
Have you looked at alt.woodworking?
By the way, the request was for a recommendation for a good online forum for woodworking, not for a woodworking group on usenet. They're not the same thing.

rec.woodworking
On 7/18/2013 8:48 AM, Doug Miller wrote:

Yes, that one.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/wood/

The Sawmill Creek forums are pretty good and quite active. They can be confusing to navigate and God help you if you want to buy a tee-shirt, but otherwise recommended.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/
Paul F.
On 7/18/2013 8:15 PM, Paul Franklin wrote:

Well, I tried to sign up for that forum, but when I entered my real first and last name, it said that my user name was already in use. Since the terms of service say that I have to use my real name, I guess I have to change my name to sign up. :) It doesn't give me an option to use a different user name.

What a pain. I guess it helps maintain decorum. A lot of users there include their middle initial, probably for the same reason.
mcp6453 wrote:

Any public website or forum that requires my real name and real date of birth to participate (as this one does) isn't going to get that information from me.
Same regarding my "real" email address -- I always use a junk email address for those types of signups.
There is a saying on the Internet that is something like -- for the curious, provide the spurious.
To me, that is just common sense. Do they give YOU their real name and real date of birth?