Wood Splitter?

Does anyone remember (from about a gazillion years ago) the old wood splitters that looked kinda like a large, stubby corkscrew. We would jack up the rear end of a model T, take off a wheel, attach the splitter to the hub over the lugnuts and then put the car in gear and let it run. A hunk of wood would be slammed onto the turning screw and it would do a pretty good job of splitting it.
Do they still make these things? Would they work on a modern automobile?
Bubba wrote:

I'm just going to hazard a wild guess: That society's living to satisfy the Motherfugging LAWYERS has made it absolutely impossible to market such a tool, being that every moron in the world would be ripping their guts out and looking for a few million in damages from the manufacturer.
But hey, I could be wrong. ($1 Dennis Miller)
--
Saluting America's #1 (animated) "MILF" - Lois Griffin!

well, it appears that you are wrong. http://www.thestickler.com /

of
They make a more compact and easier to use hand splitter, using a hydraulic jack. Look on Google for hand operated hydraulic wood splitter. I would think it easier to use, and set up, than the wheel powered screw, and much more compact than a gas operated hydraulic, which some tool companies rent out by the day.

Only someone who has not spit much wood or used one of those toys would even suggest using it. Anything one of those will split will split easier and a lot faster using an ax or maul. Just watch one of the video demonstrations.
Harry K
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Harry K) wrote:
-snip-

I agree. The video they show at http://www.thestickler.com/ has a guy splitting a chunk of wood that I'd split a lot faster with a felling axe, let alone a splitting axe or maul. Looks like oak or ash-- straight grained as can be & it takes the guy 5 minutes to block it up. Granted, he won't break a sweat with his method, and I can't split well sitting down. . . . but if I were that old/tired/lazy [which I am] I'd switch to a propane stove. [which I did]
If they want to sell them--- and they are up to the task-- then split some elm--- or at least some gnarly forks.
Jim
(Harry K) wrote:

I can just visualize myself driving down the road with a big lump of spruce or fir screwed firmly onto the 'splitter' attached to and sticking out from the rear wheel of my pickup! Oh, oh! Flashing red and blue lights ...... got to go ....... "Well constable; you see I was trying to .............................. but the chunk of wood covers the wheel nuts ...... and .... I couldn't get the wheel off!" :-)
(Harry K) wrote:

OOPS. I was refering to the hydraulic jack types. They are nothing but rip-offs and I bet not one was used more than once after purchase.
As for the Stickler. I wouldn't use one or even be around one being used do to the danger.
Harry K