Wood floor over vinyl / linoleum

Thanks to all those who have helped me on this project so far!
My next question: The vinyl/linoleum floor in the kitchen looks to be a miserable job to rip up and remove all the adhesive. Does anyone know if it would be possible to glue the bamboo directly to the existing floor after a good cleaning? If it won't be, can anyone recommend a great adhesive remover? I've purchased a long-handled scraper, and it just doesn't seem to do the job on its own.
Many thanks!
Joe

I wouldn't (and didn't).

You have to push it. It's goes easier if you pay a kid a hundred or two to do it. ;-)
--
Keith

jmyszka wrote:

Go out and buy enough 1/4" luan and nail it down over the exsisting floor. Once done, then put down your new floor over the luan. Have done this several times without an issue.
Paul
Paul,
I've thought about this, but unfortunatly my floors would then be uneven - I'm going for a nice smooth flow throughout the entire area. I've already laid one room - I should have looked at this in the beginning!
Thanks! jm
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

There are various types of "transition" pcs that can be used depending on your situation. Try where you bought the flooring or a good sized flooring store that installs their own products.
Certainly this would be better workwise vs what you are doing!
Or you can have one made at a mill shop out of hardwood. It'll run some bucks.
Still would would be better workwise vs what you are doing!

If you have a concrete floor maybe an air driver scraper would help - you need a huge compressor though. If you have a wood subfloor then maybe a 1/4" particle board underlayment below the vinyl. What you do in that case is adjust you circular saw 1/4" and let her rip - that is after you've verified if the vinyl contain asbestos. I've lay over vinyl in both kitchens and bathrooms with a floating floor system (no glue or nail) without problems.

The manfacturer should specify this in the instructions. If not, then call them.