Wood Floor over Concrete Slab

Any suggestions on how to go about installing a hardwood floor over a concrete slab?
I'd rather go wall-to-wall carpet for obvious insulation benefits but never mind that.
Would laminate be the way to go? If so, any kind of under-material required or recommended?
Thanks!
Look at www.kahrs.com.
I installed the wood flooring "floating" over an underlayment supplied with my Kahrs order. True, I did it on the second floor over the wood.
The cement has to be dry and relatively level.
Bill Fischer.

NOFMA (National Organization of Flooring Manufacturers) web site includes several tech tips. TB

Real wood is not recommended over a slab on or below grade. It can be done by putting down sleepers and insulation and a vapor barrier but then the floor is raised about 2" or more.
Engineered hardwood or laminate can be used with the proper barrier. I used Mannington engineered wood with very good results. www.mannington.com There are many good brands and selections. I'd go to a real flooring store rather than the big box stores if you want a good quality.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

I had a feeling real wood wouldn't work in this situation.
Yeah, I see boxes of cheap laminate in every big box around, HD, Cosco, etc. I was never tempted to gamble on it.
Thanks for the tips!

It's done all the time. Put down...
1. Vapor barrier
2. Sub floor. I used 3/4" T&G ply made for the purpose. Lay cross-wise to the way you want your floor, stagger joints, fasten *securely* to concrete.
3. Nail on your acclimatized floor boards. You'll need a nailer like Porta Nailer that has an accessory shoe that changes the angle of the cleat so it won't bottom out on the concrete. Alternative is to use 1 1/2" cleats rather than 2". The shoe is the better alternative.
You really can't put down full thickness hardwood flooring onto concrete without first building up a subfloor. Recommended thickness is 2 layers of 3/4" ply I believe. Manufacturer's now are selling 3/8"-1/2" thick hardwood flooring that they say can be used directly on concrete. Method of install is by gluing down the floor vs. nailing it. Check out the websites listed above and I believe they give the details for doing this. Cheers, cc