Wood beam ceiling

I like the look of a wood beam ceiling, like what you see here:
http://vintagetimber.com/newpics20040330/new/Sanded_1841.jpg
What I don't know is, are these beams decorative or actual structural? How are they attached to the rood structure? Can they be added on AFTER the fact? If so, any idea of what kind of cost we are talking about?
Thanks in advance,
MC
message

you see here:

http://vintagetimber.com/newpics20040330/new/Sanded _1841.jpg
or actual structural? How

they be added on AFTER the

are talking about?

Styrofoam. You glue them up.

You are kidding right? They are hanging celing fans and chandeliers off it...
http://vintagetimber.com/newpics20040330/new/Hand_Hewn_1870.jpg
MC

They're hanging stuff off of the center beam, which is very structural. It will be supported well at both ends. The beams attaching to this main center beam are exactly what I have in my house... and they're styrofoam. I have a ceiling fan hanging from the center beam in my house too. :)

They can be foam, fiberglass, or hollow wood. Can't tell from the picture. Tap them and you will be able to figure it out. In most cases, they are strictly decorative and installed after the room construction is finished.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

chandeliers off

picture.
are
finished.
In UK lots of houses have these beams, and theyre almost never fakes. If you want them you dont need to put anything up, but rather to take down the ceiling plasterboard / sheetrock to expose the beams you already have.
You'd then want to finish the underside of the floorboards, either paint, plaster, put melamine sheet down, insulating board, whatever you want.
Note if you remove PB and dont finish the boards above, you then have less fire and sound insulation.
NT
The beams can be fabricated after the gypsum board ceiling is in place.
They can be attached to rough nailers that are fastened to the ceiling joists. Wiring can be run through them and electrical boxes can be mounted to the nailers and reached through cut outs in the finished beam. TB
miamicuse wrote:

Hi, Mostly decorative with fake beam. Tony