Wish me luck

Page 1 of 2
I live in a 50 or 60 year old house with one tiny bathroom and 2 females. The bathroom needs to be renovated (I've been putting it off for a couple of years, but the tiles just fell off the walls into the bathtub last weekend.)
The ceiling is OK, and we'll probably reuse the recently replaced toilet and the vanity. Everything else needs to be replaced, including the tub and the window and most of the plaster. Did I mention that this is the only bathroom in the house?
(Looking thru the sporting goods catalog for a bucket with a toilet seat to sit out in the garage)
Bob

If you're serious about the makeshift bathroom, go to www.westmarine.com. They sell portable toilets for small boats. I've never owned one, but I believe you put some sort of chemical in there to keep the Disgustingness Index down to 8. Without the chemical, it would be a 10.
Good luck. You're out of your mind. :-)
On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 16:30:15 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

Well, if you're keeping the toilet, I don't think you'll have to do without a toilet much.

I used to pick up things for a friend who was building a house in a rural area. I actually found a portable toilet in a dumpster, but I decided he wasn't that good a friend. But he bought one. He kept trying to get his weekend guests, after the house was usable, to go outside no matter what time of year (upstate NY) so he wouldn't have to do maintenance on the toilet.
But the guy was a jackass. We went camping in N.C. with his girlfriend and her 10 year old daughter, and on the way back, just as 495 approaches the Woodrow Wilson Bridge, the little girl had to go to the bathroom. We took an exit, and he wanted to stop on the ramp, about 20 feet up a hill, and have the little girl go in the reeds between the ramp and metal railing. All of about 2 feet wide, while we parked there and traffic slowed to pass us.
He was a jerk -- that was one example of many -- and that's why we don't talk anymore, as of 15 years ago.

I wonder how much it costs to rent a whole port-a-potty for a... week, or two. Probably quite a bit. I'm 58 and I remember when they were absolutely disgusting. But 30 or so years ago, they came up with something that actually keeps them from smelling that bad inside. Either that or my nose got broken, but I don't think that is it.

I think the main solution is to not piss all over the insides of the structure. That eliminates the possibility of it working in any public venue. :-)

when i was building my house, it was only about $30/month or so.

Around $200 for each week or fraction thereof, last time I did it.
They don't stink as much if you can just get people to put the damn lid down.

You and Charles have to work this one out. He says 30!.
Does 30 a week include pickup and delivery? OTOH, does 200 include pickup and delivery each and every week? :)

In 1955 the outhouse at YMCA camp smelled absolutely terrible. Now even the dirtiest portapots don't smell nearly as bad. AFAICT. I think they invented something, not just perfume. that they put in the sewage compartment that counteracts the smell. Because none of the last 20 portapots I've used have smelled very bad at all.

Have you been in one on a hot day, at an outdoor event with 15,000 people passing through over 12 hours? :-)
On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 22:22:12 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

Good points. Hot day? I can't remember the last time. 15000 people? never.
But there weren't 15000 people at the Y either, only about 50 or 60 and most used the flush toilets (the new Joe.)
I wish I could live my life a second time, even very quickly, just to check thiese things out. But I guess I can't.
But I do try. Back to my home town and to the YMCA to find out where the camp was. The guy at the front desk knew. It was sold to an arts camp iirc a couple decades ago, and to a private party a decade ago. I was 9 the last time I'd been there, so I didn't remember the route. but he knew I checked it out. The river had moved closer to the camp and so the obstacle course (my favorite part) was on the other side of the river. A couple cabins were torn down, the old Joe was buried, and the new Joe didn't seem the same either.
I don't know why the Y didn't need a camp anymore. Either it needed one and couldn't afford it, or the kids went farther away to fancier camps, or there were no kids because Western Pa. is losing young parents. My grammar school is leased to an outside organization. But that might not represent the whole town. When the old people who live there (my parents generation and a bit younger) die or go to Florida, I think young people will buy those houses and the school will reopen. I'll go back in another 10 years and check it out.
Because the town is not growing, no one moves. My n'hood is just as nice as it used to be -- the whole town has barely changed in 40 years --, but the corner grocery and the toy store are both medical supply stores. Of course when they die, they'll have to move.

Good point, this was at a fairly remote location.. And a standard non-handicapped porta-john is supposed to be good for 200 "uses",

since it took me 6 months to build the house, it would have been a small fortune for the mandatory portapotty for the workmen at 200/week. the servicing was done weekly. the company doing the servicing was pretty local and in a hot (figuratively and literally, being just north of phoenix in the summertime) realestate market with lots of other building going on in the neighborhood.
regards, charlie cave creek, az
Get a Bumper Dumper. http://www.bumperdumper.com /

Don't worry. I am sure the contractor will work efficiently and get everything done on time. (LOL)

The toilet etc. should be able to be kept functional during the revamp, aside for the small amount of time possibly replacing the tile under it.
The bath / shower might be a different issue though; hopefully you can borrow a friends or relatives in the meantime. You might even be able to make an outdoor shower.
JohnH wrote:

Outdoor shower could be interesting here in Minnesota in January and February. OTOH, it reduces the disgustingness of that bucket out in the garage ;-)
The toilet will end up being pulled briefly and reinstalled several times to keep from damaging it during demolition. I've got lots of wax rings.
One thing I probably need to have done is to lower the toilet flange about 1/2 inch. It's currently just a little too high for the floor, so all the wax squeezes out of the joint and the toilet rocks after a while. It's a cast iron stack, so I don't think I'll try replacing the flange myself. (Or instead I might raise the floor, if I can figure out a good way to do the threshhold.)
Bob

What about pouring a very thin layer of concrete, maybe an inch high, which would raise the toilet to the right level versus the pipe? Make the "pedestal" just large enough to do its job, but not so large that people smash their toes on it. Then, send the wife to a tile store for the appropriate supplies to decorate the pedestal with festive, gay flowery-doodle tiles. :-)
Doug Kanter wrote:

I was thinking of just using the existing 1" ceramic tiles as a base to put down new 4" tiles. That would raise the stool off the flange by the thickness of the new floor, which is about right. And I wouldn't have to demolish the old floor that way, just cover it with a very thin layer of mason's mix (or something similar) to fill and level the grout lines.
Bob

Might work. And if not, it sounds like you're already pretty good at reinstalling toilets.
Doug Kanter wrote:

That comes with having kids.
Best regards, Bob

What the hell do your kids do to the toilet??? When my son started pitching in little league, he hit me once in the cohones and once in the mouth (at 80+ mph). And, hooked me in the leg and hand with fish hooks. That I can forgive. But the toilet....I would've had to murder him.