Wiring in a closet

I have finished my basement, but have to put in the plug myself. Don't feel like getting a permit just for one outlet.
So I have to install a double wallbox for 4 outlets. since my stereo will use at least that many and I dont want those plug extenders to much.
The question is, since this is in a small closet that was created for this purpose, and the closet is not really big enough to enter or use, do I have to put the wiring inside of a pipe, or can I leave it exposed?
Its in a corner, where the back walls are cement, and the front walls are drywall with metal framing. There is a standard door, and a big glass door for stereo access. I am going to put a light switch on the drywall already for a light that is just outside the closet in the ceiling. So the wiring is already exposed by the light switch. Just wondering if the outlet box I screw into the wall can have wiring going do it like the light switch, or if I should put it into a pipe somehow!?
Of course without the pipe I am not sure how to screw the wiring in place against the cement wall...
The wiring is 12Ga/20A (yellow).
--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert wrote:

I might suggest that a good surge protector may be your answer. That will eliminate the need for the bootleg outlet and will provide additional surge protection to your expensive electronics. It also means only one wire from the outlet to the equipment.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

You realize that basement outlets have to be GFCI protected, and they have to be space every 6' (or something like that, I would have to look it up). The town will not care about the outlet, but they will get pissed if they find out about finishing the basement without a permit.

The spirit of the code is that the wiring has to be protected from any possible damage. So if absolutely nothing can knock into it or snag it, then it probably is not a problem; even if it techically doesn't meet code. It would be best if you could bring it straight down the corner, since it is reasonably protected there. In general running wire in the corner between the wall and ceiling is considered safe, so the idea would be the same.
Why can't you bring it down the sidewall though?

Suggest you could slide it through a length of flexible metal armoured cover. The armour would not act as a conductor merely as mechanical protection? The need for a permit for finishing, oneself, an internal area of one's house (typically as a basement recreation or 'rumpus' room NOT to be used as sleeping/living accommodation) depends on local jurisdictional rules! In some parts of the world you can't even paint or repair a door, without a permit! In others such as here, as long as I do not change the basic use of the house, (for example building several sleeping partitions and putting in a bathroom in order to accommodate live-in students would not be permissible) while finishing off my basement as a billiard/snooker or table tennis or bar area would be OK!
Terry wrote:

Yea, im not too happy about having done it without a permit. I won't do that again. I dont really know how to ensure its up to code now. Im sure it is because the folks that installed it are contractors in this area. Nevertheless. I think I need to install an egress too. I will be sure to get a permit for that.
--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert
Toller wrote:

Interesting. The sump outlet is not protected, but the one under the fuse panel is. Those are the two the house builder installed.
Anyway, I have a gfci breaker and will probably just use that as the whole basement wiring for outlets has not been connected in the panel yet.

well the light is in the ceiling and the wire is coming from that direction. However, the power comes in from the wall, and so its from the side at outlet level. I will have to run the line to the wall quad outlet, then run a line to the light switch, then from the switch to the light.
--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert

Unfinished basements don't need GFCI.

Toller wrote:

Damn. That blows up my premise that these guys were following code...
--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert

He got it backwards. Unfinished basements and garages are considered damp, and require GFCI except for dedicated outlets for permanent fixtures. (Sump pumps, for instance).
FINISHED basements do not require gfci, because it's assumed that your occupiable space is not damp.
I'm pretty sure that's what the respondant above meant anyway, since OP was asking about a closet in a finished basement.
Goedjn wrote:

Good good. Especially considering all the work I have gone through over the last year to ensure the sump system and foundation drains are functioning properly.
But I wonder. some plugs are near the drain cleanouts. But no technically running water. I guess thats what permits and inspectors are for...
--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert
On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 13:19:56 -0500, "CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert"

Well, there's nothing that says you can't put a gfci outlet where it's not required. They're not THAT expensive.