wiring code - cable stackers

I've started to wire a room and bathroom in my basement and I was hoping to get some clarification about what the code says and what is generally good practice. I hafve already contacted my local inspector and am hoping that the upcoming rough inspection goes smoothly.
On the inspectors recommedation, I purchased cable stackers at home depot to avoid violating the rule that requires cables to be 1 1/4" away from the edge of a stud. If I run two or three cables in the cable stacker, does the cable stacker count as an "approved means" of support as defined by the nec code? i.e. Is each cable stacker equivalent to stapling the cable or would the cables also need to be stapled in some way within 12in of the box?
You will be fine with the cable stackers. No additional securing should be necessary. I have found that inspectors like it when you use them. Just make sure that you are following the manufacturer's guidelines for the number of and type of cables. Have the cable stackers package available if the inspector wants to see it, but don't voluntarily show it unless he asks or questions how you used the stackers.

On 9 Oct 2005 07:59:10 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I am not a huge fan of these but they are hold your nose legal. They will generally keep the wire safe from the sheet rockers because they usually know where the studs are supposed to be +/- 1.25". The reason I don't like them is when the homeowner is "probing" for a stud they will walk up to it from the void and are very likely to hit that wire "hot". The rocker would have hit a dead wire.
The whole POINT of these cable stackers IS to meet code.
-Tim

No the point is to exploit a loophole in the code (is the 1.25" lateral or face to the end of the nail). The standard used to be that if you couldn't keep the wire 1,25" BACK from the face of the member it was in EMT. That is the way all houses were wired around here if the furring on a block wall was less than 2".
Thanks.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Cable stackers have always been accepted as support by all of the inspectors I've dealt with. -- Tom Horne
"This alternating current stuff is just a fad. It is much too dangerous for general use." Thomas Alva Edison