Wiring around heating pipes

I'm running a new circuit horizontally through a pair of studs that have the heating pipes running vertically from the ceiling down to the floor (baseboard heat) centered between the two studs. The pipes are set directly in the middle of the studs. What is the best way to wire around them?

They are insulated with pipe insulators, so I could just run the wire loosely around them, but that would probably result in the wiring drooping and touching the pipe insulation. By code I can't drill the holes too close to the wall, which would allow me to space the wire so it doesn't touch the piping.

What's the right approach here?

Reply to
acooley

I assume your concern is heat damage do the jacket of the wire, which I assume is Romex.

That might be OK. How hot does the outside of the insulation get?

If you are closer than I think an inch or so to the edge you just have to put a cleat there to protect the wiring from nails. When I did my daughter's bedroom I had several cleats, not only was it OK, but the inspector was impressed that I knew enough to use them.

In your case the wire run between the studs is going to need to be close to the back of the outer wall because of the pipe so there may be an issue with protecting that. I like behind the pipe better if you think you can safely do it.

PLEASE don't use the post as you only source of information- there may be something in the code that I'm not aware of. I'm not a professional.

Reply to
Jim Nugent