Wiring a new Chandelier

I recently replaced a chadelier in my dining room. The previous chandelier worked fine and was on a dimmer. Although the new one works, it will not dim. The wiring is straight forward - two wires from the ceiling, two wires from the chandelier - no problem.

Does anyone know why a chandelier would not work with a dimmer switch?

Reply to
AKoodray

Are they ordinary incandescent bulb? Most flourscents cannot be used with a dimmer.

Reply to
Art

If the dimmer switch turns the fixture on and off, but does not dim, the dimmer is defective. Possibly you shorted it out in the process of removing or installing the fixtures

Reply to
RBM

For some reason the old dimmer may have gone bad. Try replacing it. Be sure that you shut off the power when you do this. I'm assuming that the on/off feature still works properly.

Reply to
John Grabowski

PERFECT!!!

I just happened to have an extra dimmer around. Swapped it out and it works like a charm!!

Reply to
AKoodray

Hi, No ground wire? Black. White and bare wire for ground. Mine in our dining room has ground wire attached to chandelier body as well. Dimmer works with ordinary bulbs.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hi, If new one is bigger it may have over loaded the dimmer. They come is at different Wattage rating.

Reply to
Tony Hwang