Wiring

What type of wiring do I need to wire my house with? Should I use wire that is better than what is called for in the code or should I just use what is called for in the housing code?

Wiring better than code, ????
What planet are you on? I have heard the Jupiter wiring code is pretty tough.
I have seen houses done in conduit, sure do not know why they spent the money.
You need to do some investigation on what is required for your area.
Use what the code calls for.

Gosh I hope this is a troll. But since it might not be... The main reason to use better than required is if you know you will have heavy loads on long wires. Then you will want to use heavier wire to reduce voltage drop. You might also anticipate needing more or heavier circuits in the future, and rewiring is not practical. For instance, I just hooked up my 16a generator to a transfer switch with 10/3. I could have used 12/2 but somebody in the future might want to use a larger generator and neither the labor nor the material really cost all that much more.
When I do work (additions & changes) on my 1930 house (knob & tube) I always use flex or emt (interior work) & pull THHN/THWN stranded #12 ...............
Yeah it's work work but in a strange sort of way it's kinda fun & satisfying plus I don't have a hobby or watch football or baseball or basketball :)
Besides I really don't like NM & who knows I might want to change the circuits some time in the future.
Back to the OP's question; it seems to me pretty hard to do better than code if you're using NM. The only thing I would suggest is no 15 amp cirucits, no 14 gage wire.
IMO 15 amp circuits suck, esp when changes downstream are needed.
cheers Bob
"I always use flex or emt (interior work) & pull THHN/THWN stranded #12 "
I agree. This is better then code and what I use. Romex is crap IMO.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I also hope this is a troll. I would hate to think someone who would have to ask this question would be considering doing their own wiring.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
I'm not sure that you need to use "better wiring" conduits, MC cable etc. , or even heavier gauges of wire than necessary, but I'd try to include provisions for the future, like sub panels in hard to get to areas, conduit chases from basement to attic, and maybe fewer outlets per circuit would be nice

Codes are minimum, so more outlets per running foot of wall, bigger better service entrance, 200 amp with lots of extra breaker slots, more overhead and task lighting, even leaving boxes with blank covers for future fixtures. Using 12 gauge minimum wire is a good idea too. Electrical supplies are pretty cheap. So rather than one receptable per box use 2 duals, one switched one not for maximum flexiblity. LOTS of outkets for home offices.
Buy read and digest a good book on wiring:)
Avoid those low price outlets and switches, you get what you pay for:(
While you at it outlets for cable or sat, ethernet, and phone. you can run conduit to empty boxes, for easy wiring changes in the future