wired/interconnected smoke detectors: any low voltage models?

I have been working on an addition to my home. On the permit it states that I must install "hardwired/interconnecting smoke detectors required throughout the entire dwelling per 2003 M.R.C.". I did a little web research into this, and was surprised to only find ones powered from 120VAC. Aren't there any low-voltage models? Seems to me that the line voltage is going to get dropped and rectified anyway, and I would imagine that a low-voltage system would simplify and cheapen the interconnect wiring scheme over a 120VAC system.

Reply to
micrologix1500

I don't know of low voltage models, but I have the line voltage ones in my house. All it takes is a 3 wire (plus ground) cable between the smoke detectors, the black and white provide power and the red is the trigger that sets all of them off. They work great.

Reply to
EXT

Hardwired implies that it is connected to your home's electrical power. I don't know of any low-voltage models, but if there were, they would not be any easier to install - because you would still have to wire them regardless.

It's not too hard to install the 120V models. Pull one circuit using 14/3 Romex with ground. Use black for hot, white for neutral, and the red wire for signal between smoke detectors.

Reply to
J.A. Michel