wire splice

Page 1 of 2

I'm running around looking for some device which will help me splice wires together.
What is happening is I seem to cut into power extension chords on outside jobs. I hamburger my way into cutting them occasionally, and need a way to splice 'em together.
I'd like for it to be a way to not have too big a bulge in the line.
Right now, I use butt connectors and insulate the chords individually, then wrap the whole connection.
Any better ways to do this?

Unless you cut it in half, throw away the smaller length and install a male or female end on what's left

And if you *did* cut it in half, put a male connector on one cut end, and a female connector on the other -- presto! *Two* extension cords.
--
Regards,
You've reinvented frugal. Good job.
rb wrote:

The correct way is to use a wirenut, properly enclosed in a junction box. If you don't want to put in a junction box, then you have to replace the entire wire.
--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

I sure don't see that kind of splice to often, or ever

<wink wink>
RBM wrote:

OK, I spent too much time in the trusses this morning. I read that as splicing accidentally-cut Romex for outdoor lights.
Everybody else is right. Either replace the extension cord or cut it and put on new ends.
On a positive note, my latest Habitat for Humanity house is almost weathered in. We had a crew of 30 volunteers (30!) today. We went from a slab eight days ago to completed walls and trusses today. (Don't look too closely at that truss we had to shave to compensate for a half-inch bump in the concrete.) What's left of Hurricane Ike sent us home today after half a day, or we would have finished the ladder trusses and been ready for roof decking.
--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

Good job Steve. I had a good laugh picturing this guy carrying his fifty foot extension cord with a 1900 box spliced into the middle
RBM wrote:

a really long extension cord with a receptacle box in the middle. He'd plug his contractor's saw into the receptacle and then further out he set up his miter saw system.
With one cord, he spread his main powers tools out far enough to have all sorts of work room around each tool.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

I would probably solder the individual wires together and cover them with heat shrink, then wrap with friction tape then finally electrical tape (or really big heat shrink if I had it)
if this is going to be used in a wet location, before sliding the heat shrink over the splices, smear a little silicone grease on them to make absolutely sure that no water can get in and corrode the wires.
nate
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Nate Nagel wrote:

quality new cords simply aren't that expensive.
--
aem sends...

Not much. Yes. I know. Please trim useless, excess text.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Actually, you might want to do something about your mail/news settings that put all the quoted text into your sig, effectively disappearing it.
Or maybe not.
aemeijers wrote:

yes I do, because I do a lot of work on older cars. Heat shrink is your friend.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Heatshrink, electrical tape, and a few other things. Essential for repar guys.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Usually engineers have highly technical and complicated answers to simple problems.
Tradesmen (that's me!) use wire nuts and lots of electrical tape.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus