Windows painted shut

Some old second story windows are painted shut. I was told I should think about new windows, which WILL happen, but not for a year or so. But, until then, I want to get these old windows open again, if only for safety sake, and for summertime ventilation. Any ideas on the best way to get these painted-shut windows open? Thanks.
On Feb 23, 2:04�pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Pdk Pdk) wrote:

use sharp knife between moving sections. its highly possible there are other troubles making the windows unusable, like broken weights etc.
winter efficency is best as is, get them unsealed they will leak bad
On Feb 23, 2:04 pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Pdk Pdk) wrote:

Google is your friend. http://www.repair-home.com/Liberating_Painted_Windows
On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 11:32:07 -0800 (PST), RicodJour

LOL, first line: If your windows are screaming, "Attica, Attica!"
-- Oren
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Pdk Pdk) wrote in

Last time this Q came up someone recommended a window zipper. Personally, I've never used one.
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId 78341&cp&kw=window+zipper&origkw=window+zipper&sr=1
Pdk Pdk wrote:

cut through the paint film, taking care of course not to cut toward yourself or be off balance. My choice would be to removed the inside trim and just pull the sash loose. You probably will chip some paint either way. For simplicity, you might want to try a couple of taps on the sash to see if that loosens it.
On Feb 23, 2:04�pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Pdk Pdk) wrote:

buy just enough new ones to replace the really bad ones. its a piece by piece fix but should be considered
Pdk Pdk wrote:

as to minimize flaking. Go slow- it will keep jumping out of corner on you. But it usually takes more- because I already had it in the tool bucket I was using, I used a clean wide high-quality putty knife and a hammer, to tap sideways into the sliding joint, where some paint almost always has seeped. The window will make scary noises, and if wood or putty is rotten, this is when it will fail, so have plastic film and duct tape ready, along with plywood if you are in a bad neighborhood. (Better to have it and not need it, etc.)
Yeah, I could use new windows too, but these are basically in good condition, and with current housing market, I'd never get my money back on heating costs or added value at resale. I reputtied mine 2 summers ago, but really need to go back and scrape and paint, and maybe replace the storms on the windward side. So I do feel your pain.
aems ends...