window treatments of a different nature....

I've been toying with this idea for keeping my place moderately lit but with no visibility in or out. what if I were to take sheets of frosted/opaque/colored acrylic/lucite and mount them over the windows, cut to size? there are many options as to mobility, such as hinged panels that could be lifted to open the airway and/or allow access to the latch for the window, etc.
has anyone seen anything like this? I really don't care to see outside as the view isn't that great, but I like the thought of having constant ambient lighting.... you could even change out the panels to fit the mood, color scheme, whatever... kinda like sunglasses for your windows....
thoughts?
jrm
Jrm wrote:

Sheer curtains/drapes would be world's easier...
-- dadiOH _____________________________

perhaps, but that isn't the desired LOOK I'm going for. I don't care about "easy." I want externally-illuminated panels.
jrm

Painted cloth or plastic fenestrals: Just make wooden picture frames that fit in your window openings, attach the membrane, and paint to suit. If you use plastic, it may even cut down on your heating bills a bit.
THey make plastic "wallpaper" with patterns for windows. But watch out.... heat may crack the glass.

that
the
as
ambient

out....
this is close to what I'm thinking, but I'm really leaning towards finding some type of thicker acrylic solution that I can mount on four posts at all corners of the window. something a little heavier and prominent than cloth or "plastic wallpaper." hell, I may just have to experiment and see what happens....
thanks though, to all of you.
jrm

Someone at work has that translucent plastic window wallpaper on the non-sliding glass around and above her sliding glass door (and curtains or blinds over the sliding door itself).
If you want it to be removable, why not just put it on plexiglass or lucite (which would help insulate)?
--
David Efflandt - All spam ignored http://www.de-srv.com /

that
the
as
ambient
Why not if you are willing to spend the time and money. I would make them movable and not destructive to the house. They next owner may not like your concept. I would also suggest that you provide some kind of vent holes at the top and bottom. The heat gain behind glass on the south and west sides of a house can be very high. If you trap that air in the window opening you may have problems with cracked glass or baked plastic. Even seen what happens to those plastic trim pieces on a metal door behind a storm door on the south-west side of a house?
BTW, Nanik made a few bucks years ago selling the tinted plastic vertical blinds. I think they even used the tag line "sunglasses for windows". We had to de-static them when we installed them.
Colbyt
Jrm wrote:

Check out what is available in the Bath department. I believe you will find a selection of frosted glass options, including stick on films. Art and craft stores should also have some options, including paint on materials that can be pealed off later if you like. It can even look like stain glass if you like.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

We have "interior storm windows" made of plastic and held in place with magnetic strips. The larger sheets buckle of their own weight. Sounds like an interesting proposition. Want to describe window size, operation, and surrounding materials? TB

cut
that
the
as
ambient
color
aha..... this sounds possible as well, although I was thinking of something that would stick out from the window an inch or two, allowing ventilation of SOME sort when necessary. I don't really open the windows often as I don't really get a breeze w/my north/south windows and all the trees and other buildings and whatnot.
I've got a 36 x 28, 22 x 60, and a 12 x 60, as well as a sliding glass door (again, never used since the homeowners decided to put railings over all of them, rendering them nothing more than poorly-insulated walls that you can see through) that I'd also like to consider giving this treatment.....
jrm
J > I've been toying with this idea for keeping my place moderately lit but J > with no visibility in or out. what if I were to take sheets of J > frosted/opaque/colored acrylic/lucite and mount them over the windows, cut J > to size? there are many options as to mobility, such as hinged panels that J > could be lifted to open the airway and/or allow access to the latch for the J > window, etc. J > J > has anyone seen anything like this? I really don't care to see outside as J > the view isn't that great, but I like the thought of having constant ambien
J > lighting.... you could even change out the panels to fit the mood, color J > scheme, whatever... kinda like sunglasses for your windows....
Whoa! I'm having flashbacks to the 60's! <g> Vaguely recall largish panels, one in particular of a brownish-orange with large (~1') concentric circles with a smaller pattern interspersed. Seem to recall it being used for dividing a room but was backlit.
Perhaps check with lighting companies: 2x4' fluorescent panels. Maybe a sign company: they would have to have translucent panels from which to make signage.
- barry.martinATthesafebbs.zeppole.com
* With a good wind and the lottery, should be able to get halfway there!
--
RoseReader 2.52 P003186
The Safe BBS Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971