Wind mill

Page 3 of 3
snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote in

Well, NJ may be 3rd highest in teacher salary, but both my daghter and my son-in-law, despite master's degrees don't make that much. Which means they are lucky (they know it) that grandma can babysit. And part of the high cost is that teachers get easily promoted away, since the seniority system does not take teacher success into account.
--
Best regards
Han
On 2/5/2011 8:17 AM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

About 20? years ago, I read a very chilling thriller novel about that very concept- terrorists bring an LNG tanker into a harbor (forget which one) that fronted a wide river that happened to have enough cliffs and such to make a natural bowl to contain a gas cloud, and somehow vent it off without the safeties kicking in. They also timed it for the exact worst possible weather conditions (hot muggy still day, etc) so wind would not disperse it. I can't remember how it came out- the hero probably pulled off a save at the last second or something- but they claimed even a small LNG tanker could produce a gas cloud big enough, that if it could be kept intact long enough to light off, would do similar damage to a small nuke.
Author coulda been speaking out of his ass for all I know, but the data presented seemed consistent with my limited knowledge of pyro and explosives and flammable gases.
--
aem sends...

LNG is lighter than air when it vaporises. May be a little hard to contain it like that to get enough built up to do that kind of damage.
Jimmie
clipped

There have been documentaries about harbor security (since 9/11, of course) and the NG tankers used as targets. Seems they discussed the explosive force in terms of a large proportion of whatever city it was. Domino effect, as well, I believe.

Back in the 1970's the operator of the orchards surrounding our place would bulldoze out the channel and dam the creek that ran behind our place. I cannot imagine how ballistic the econuts would go if someone tried that today.

Within the past week the local newspaper had a story about a local farmer who put up a couple windmills. The quotes from a neighbor objecting to ruining the view could be predicted with 110% accuracy. Something similar a few years ago in rich and liberal Marin County, CA where the hypocritical residents forced the windmill to be built out of sight.

I find the econuts to be pretty transparent about their goal of obstructing any and all projects. It's commercial interests that disguise their motives behind eco complaints.

Somehow, and I'm not sure how, the kooks have taken over the country.
Fake ID wrote:

Oh, yeah. A number of years ago our local power company proposed a new generating station. Part of the plan called for a cooling pond and a discharge canal into a neighboring bay - about a mile away.
The environmentalists went nuts. This heated water (about 4-5 degrees above ambient) would surely kill every aquatic thing from Houston to Mexico!
After much litigation, the facility was finally built.
Turns out shrimp LIKE the warmer water and congregate at the outlet of the canal as well as IN the canal all the way back to the several-acre cooling pond. Further, fish that eat shrimp (and don't mind the warmer water) also gather in the same locations. Sometimes it looks like piranhas eating a cow!
Bottom line, fishermen are lined up shoulder-to-shoulder on the canal and its environs!
Presumably the fish that DON'T like the warmer water go elsewhere. If there are any. For sure, the environmentalists went elsewhere.
responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/Wind-mill-619414-.htm DA wrote: LSMFT wrote:

They are probably concerned with heavy machinery traffic that any type of sizable construction would require: a couple of big trucks and a heavy crane with diesel engines and hydraulic fluids leaking near the stream. I think that's what they'd be concerned about, not an operational windmill.
Never hurts to ask the TWP directly though.