How to mill square edges

Came across a rather nice video on miling square pieces of wood... using bread:

It works surprisingly well with a bloomer...

Theo

Reply to
Theo

A bit stupid, using real wood wood be more instructive or making a device to cut thick slices of bread thinner to defeat the cheats of bakers who are continually making thicker slices so you do not get as many sandwiches out of a loaf.

Reply to
FMurtz

If you want a real bread conundrum, at least here in the UK, check out why so little of the thick "toastie" bread as supplied by major bakers such as Warburtons, is too tall to fit in a standard toaster.

Google it if you don't believe me.

Why don't they simply make it shorter so as to fit in the toaster but with more slices ?

michael adams

michael adams

michael adams was thinking very hard :

My Warburtons slices fit in the toaster just fine. Maybe it is your toaster?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

What makes you think I buy Warburtons bread ?

I buy bread which fits in a "normal sized" toaster.

michael adams

michael adams

What makes you think I buy Warburtons bread ?

I buy bread which fits in a "normal sized" toaster.

And oh yes sorry I was forgetting there is a Breville toaster on the market, the main selling point of which, appears to be that it is one of the few available which can actually accommodate Warburtons bread.

This does however have the downside presumably that when its being used to toast "normal" sized bread, all the electricity being used to heat that part of the element which would formerly have being toasting the extra Warburton area is now being totally wasted. Apart from warming the kitchen that is - a real boon in the height of Summer I'd imagine.

michael adams

michael adams

Reply to
michael adams

michael adams used his keyboard to write :

Er, you mentioned Warburtons in your post above.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Indeed I did. What I was concerned with was -

" why so little [for which read "much"]of the thick "toastie" bread as supplied by major bakers such as Warburtons, is too tall to fit in a standard toaster."

Which in itself might suggest that I myself might not be inclined to buy Warburtons bread; for that very reason.

While another conundrum is suggested by the "Which" review of the Breville toaster. From 2015. The Google link quotes the following

" Breville says that this toaster is designed with Warburtons Toastie bread in mind, and that it toasts this bread without leaving a white gap at the top"

Which does rather suggest that prior to the arrival of the Breville toaster in 2015 large numbers of people were buying Warburtons ovesized bread, and either leaving a white bit on the top or cutting it to size.

But why would they do that ?

Why were they buying bread that was the wrong size of their toasters ?

And this is in no way similar to tinned food which was introduced and sold before the invention of tin openers. In that case tinned food was a real innovation which was of real practical value. The same cannot be said of the introduction of oversized bread which didn't fit the toasters then available.

michael adams

michael adams

I've never heard of the word "jointing" being used in that way. Is it an Americanism?

Reply to
Bert Coules

English. In hand planes the jointer is the name given to the longest plane; and was/is used to straighten the edges of boards which are to be butt jointed edge-to-edge together.

This carried over to planing machines which in essence are very long hand planes turned upside down. Plaining machines were alternatively referred to as jointers and if there was a thicknesser function jointer thicknessers.

michael adams

michael adams

Thanks for that; fascinating.

Reply to
Bert Coules

now I know how to get my sandwiches perfectly aligned!

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Had to watch it to the end in the hope of seeing him cut himself.

Reply to
newshound

I just put Warburtons slices in lansdcape rather than portrait ...

Reply to
Andy Burns