Will metal studs and joists eventually replace wooden studs and joists?

Will metal studs and joists eventually replace wooden studs and joists?
Not for me , they dont insulate. they transmit all temperature differences.
I don't know if steel will replace wood, but the metal studs are great. I finished part of my basement with them. (The other part had been done with wood in the traditional manner.)They are light to carry, easy to install and, best of all, don't warp. Nor do you need to make cross braces. A metal cross brace just snaps into place quickly, 3 seconds work rather than 3 hours. Amazingly. the cost is about the same as wood. There is also an environmental consideration. Instead of chopping down more trees, it makes sense to recycle old cars this way. I have not found noise or insulation to be a problem.One of the surfaces is an outside wall and it gets very cold in the winter where I live. Fibreglass insulation stuffed between the steel studs kept things warm. The pre positioned holes in the studs also make running wires and pipes simple. I think they're a tremendous improvement over the old (warped) 2x4. ds
said...

While it's nice they found a use for old cars, don't delude yourself with illusions of saving the environment. It takes more energy to transport that steel to the plant, melt it, form it, and ship it back, than to log a tree, mill it and ship, and then regrow the tree. Far more pollution too. Wood is easily the most environmentally sound building product allowed in most jurisdictions.(does not include straw or dirt construction) Like it or not.....
M Hamlin
MSH (jjd@jaacom) said...

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't.
I suspect it is on a pound for pound basis, but I have my doubts on a stud for stud basis. A steel stud weighs quite a bit less than a wood stud of the same size, and you can ship twice as many steel studs in the same volume with less fuel than the number of wood studs.
They both have their advantages and disadvantages, and each particular application will determine which is best for the job.
--
Calvin Henry-Cotnam
I tend to think something else will come along before metal totally replaces wood. I think prefabbed composite wall panels will be the building material of the futre. Of coures there will be places where this type of constuction is not practical and maybe current conventional methods may be used to handle these situations or perhaps somethng new.

I agree. I think your allusion to "something new" will likely be composite studs that will combine the dimensional stability of steel with the application flexibility and familiarity of wood. These will probably replace wood, if only to satisfy our push toward environmental awareness (real or imagined), and complement steel (reduction in shipping/handling costs of steel over others can be substantial).

Like this............
http://irc.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/ccmc/registry/06/173/12769_e.pdf
ms
said...

I will say yes, and I will never be proven wrong.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

They will make big inroads over time, but people have a hard time breaking traditional methods.
If I was building, I'd use Insulating concrete forms and save a bundle on energy. www.integraspec.com or www.standardicf.com Of course interior walls would be framed with metal or wood studs. Joists can be engineered trusses. Ed