Will hydrogen balloons come back?

Page 3 of 5  
Tegger wrote:

No that's the Canadian medical system from your point of view. I on the other hand have no issues with the system and I am grateful for the number of medical issues my family has been through over the past thirty years that we lived here, otherwise we would have been flat broke from all the bills that could have been.
--
PV

"Whiskey is Sunlight held together by water"



Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

That's the system from my /personal experience/, both with myself and my mother. Those things I said are /actual experiences/ over many years.

And this is where it all falls apart. Always on the money thing. Canadians /always/ mention the money.
You used to be able to buy Blue Cross, at different levels of coverage. We always had full-coverage. And since Canada never made the US mistake of tying coverage to employment, you didn't have to worry about losing coverage when changing jobs.
The 1985 act banned insurance companies from selling you coverage, banned you from applying for it, and banned providers from accepting insurance payments.
Most Canadians have no memory or conception of what their system /used/ to be like: - ERs were /not/ always bursting at the seams, with 8-hour-long waits. - It was /not/ always impossible to find a family doctor. - It did /not/ always take weeks and months to see specialists. - You did /not/ originally need permission from your GP to see a specialist - It was /non/ always impossible to start your own, specialized, hospital and so on.
--
Tegger

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

It was a lame attempt at humor that you failed to see.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Micky is a big government liberal.
Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org .
micky wrote:

Why? Is it bad for our ozone layer? Other reason?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Friday, September 21, 2012 4:57:34 PM UTC-5, Bill wrote:

You're a stitch! LOL
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

That is harder to do. I was talking to a balloon shop lady the other day and she said they were having trouble getting any. The places that sell the party balloons like grocery stores and flower shops are tacking on another 50 cents to a buck on the price.
I was just wondering if big balloon users like advertisers and weather balloons might switch to hydrogen. So what if the giant floating gumby went up in a big fireball. The fire would all go up.

Yes we did embargo helium in the 30s and we had a monopoly on it. Why the Hindenburg actually caught on fire has been a source of conspiracy theories since it happened. The thing that was lost was that most of the people actually survived. Again, the helium fire went up. It was only the skin that came down on fire. Mylar would mitigate that.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Just curious whether there is a reasonable way to extra Helium from the atmosphere (in case there really was a shortage)?
Bill
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Bill wrote:

Sorry, that was supposed to be *EXTRACT* Helium, not extra Helium.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

The helium we have comes from natural gas wells in a fairly small part of the US. It is not everywhere natural gas is.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
I've also heard that, helium found in natural gas. Of course, the Obama admin doesn't want any gas or oil production in the US territory.
Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org .
The helium we have comes from natural gas wells in a fairly small part of the US. It is not everywhere natural gas is.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sat, 22 Sep 2012 08:43:42 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

Where do you get these silly ideas? From some biased news source? Gas production in the US has steadily trended up since Mr. Obama became president, and is now the highest it's been since before 1973 http://www.eia.gov/dnav/ng/hist/n9050us2m.htm Graph and chart say the same thing.
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=aH0jhcEHz07s U.S. Overtakes Russia as Biggest Natural Gas Producer (Update1) By Stephen Bierman - January 12, 2010 11:52 EST
Jan. 12 (Bloomberg) -- The U.S. overtook Russia as the worlds largest natural-gas producer last year as U.S. suppliers tapped unconventional resources while demand in Russia plunged amid the countrys worst economic decline on record. U.S. output in January through October advanced 3.9 percent from a year earlier to 18.3 trillion cubic feet (519 billion cubic meters), according to the latest Department of Energy data.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
bubba wrote:

Gas production has trended up in SPITE of President Obama. Fracking on private lands is the source of new gas. The Obama administration has curtailed exploration and production on public lands, instituted a moratorium on offshore oil and gas activity, and instituted new rules in Alaska.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 9/24/2012 7:07 AM, HeyBub wrote:

Who cares? We don't need more. The US has been *exporting* oil and gasoline for the past year or two - the first time since the 1970s. That's _besides_ the refineries cutting production. They've cut back and have been exporting because US consumption is the lowest it has been in years, and they want to keep the prices up.
Hello, people - our high gas prices aren't because of a shortage of gasoline, it's because the producers are controlling the market to keep the prices (and their profits) up. The last thing they want or need is to have still more hitting the market.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
So, we should vote obama out?
Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org .
Who cares? We don't need more. The US has been *exporting* oil and gasoline for the past year or two - the first time since the 1970s. That's _besides_ the refineries cutting production. They've cut back and have been exporting because US consumption is the lowest it has been in years, and they want to keep the prices up.
Hello, people - our high gas prices aren't because of a shortage of gasoline, it's because the producers are controlling the market to keep the prices (and their profits) up. The last thing they want or need is to have still more hitting the market.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Wrong (lefties always are). We may be exporting gasoline and refined products but *not* oil. We are still by *far* a net importer.

What a loser.

Utter nonsense.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
HellT wrote:

The US does NOT export oil. At least not to any measurable degree.
Since the 1970's, that notion - that oil companies collude to fix the price of petroleum products - has been the never-ending story. There have been, I think, no less than fifteen congressional hearings and governmental studies regarding this issue and not one has found any evidence of price-fixing or any other shaky activity.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

You know as well as I, that lefties don't need no steenkin' facts. Accusations are more than enough ("It's not the nature of the evidence but the seriousness of the charges").
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

You can google "air products" corporation and see what they do. I used to drive by the place and I know they separate nitrogen and oxygen, but I suppose they would keep any helium they found, but I don't know if enough is in there to matter. Like someone said, it probably floats away to the highest part of the atmosphere, like hydrogen probably does. That is, it does iiuc.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 9/21/2012 10:46 PM, Bill wrote:

Not really. The usual process for separating gases is fractional distillation of air which would be very expensive and inefficient because there is so little in the atmosphere.
Commercial helium comes from radioactive decay and is collected from some natural gas fields using fractional distillation of the methane and helium. Air Products has a writeup and a map on this paper:
http://www.airproducts.com/~/media/Files/PDF/industries/metals-helium-recovery-recycling-good-business-sense.pdf
http://preview.tinyurl.com/9gaenys
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
George wrote:

Thank you for making me aware. I have not been a big-abuser, but, going forward, I will act in "Helium-conscious" ways!
Bill

http://www.airproducts.com/~/media/Files/PDF/industries/metals-helium-recovery-recycling-good-business-sense.pdf
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.