Wifi network names

Page 2 of 3

I use lines of poetry, including capitals, accents and punctuation You need to know the poet, poem and language to figure it out.
Easy to memorize and very hard to break.
On 9/25/2012 2:26 PM, Atila Iskander wrote:

I use Fractured Fairytales like "Mary had a little lamb who's fleece was black as coal and everywhere that Mary went, the lamb would shout, HEY YO!" ^_^
TDD
On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 15:34:20 -0500, The Daring Dufas

A real password looks like lightning struck your keyboard. Random characters, upper and lower case, numbers and special symbols that make no sense, no matter how creative you are looking at it. Mine is on a label on the bottom of my router. You would need access to the house, know where the router was and know to look on the bottom. By then. getting into my network would be very low on my list of concerns. I don't have anything sensitive on the network anyway.
On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 21:19:31 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

If it's long enough, it really doesn't matter. The password is hashed into a fixed length number anyway.
On 9/25/2012 10:48 AM, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

Your SSID is sent unencrypted in each frame regardless of whether you set the A/P to broadcast it. As I mentioned those ideas are in all of the "expert tips" from people paid by the word not for the value of what they write.

Wireless clients still see the signal and just get confused. As I said it is pure nonsense not to broadcast the SSID.

My SSID is broadcasted. The password is not. If you can figure out my extremely strong password, feel free to use my WiFi.

In addition to the keys, you also have to have the MAC from one of my computers to access the network. The encryption keys are the real strength, though. Security by obscurity, isn't.
On 09/25/12 02:10 pm, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

I have WPA2 encryption in addition to not broadcasting the SSID. I'm not relying on obscurity alone.
However, I will research further the issue about which I have just read -- that if I have my laptop set to connect even if the SSID is not being broadcast it will keep sending that SSID when I am out of range of my network.
Perce
On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 14:15:46 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"

Your obscurity isn't doing a damned thing except, perhaps, to make you feel good.

Rather silly. If I have ten locations set in my laptop, do I really want it sending all of them continuously? Very silly.
On 09/25/12 03:57 pm, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

I have only one permanent WiFi connection set on my laptop, but I can see that if one had a bunch of them it wouldn't be so good.
Here is the piece I had read -- at
> http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/28653/debunking-myths-is-hiding-your-wireless-ssid-really-more-secure /
"When you hide your wireless SSID on the router side of things, what actually happens behind the scenes is that your laptop or mobile device is going to start pinging over the air to try and find your routerno matter where you are. So youre sitting there at the neighborhood coffee shop, and your laptop or iPhone is telling anybody with a network scanner that youve got a hidden network at your house or job."
Perce

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/28653/debunking-myths-is-hiding-your-wireless-ssid-really-more-secure /
I have an old router that is connected to a (very) old laptop It's sole purpose is to act as a honeypot for war-drivers. Regularly snag a script-kiddie trying to get on...

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/28653/debunking-myths-is-hiding-your-wireless-ssid-really-more-secure /
disabled or not plug it in. Not broadcasting the SSID is pointless.
On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 17:02:46 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"

You never take your laptop elsewhere? Why bother with a laptop? Cell phone?

Sure. Why not just have the laptop just listen for the router(s). I also use routers to tell my phone where it is.
On 09/25/12 09:55 pm, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Yes, I take my laptop to other places, but I have only one *permanent* WiFi connection defined -- to my own home WiFi. If I take it to a coffee shop or library, then it sees the broadcast SSID, and I can connect to that network.
Perce
On Wed, 26 Sep 2012 09:51:42 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"

You do the WAN discovery every time? What a PITA.

One reason is that if your Wi-Fi is provided by U-Verse from AT&T, one of the router types that they use will reset to broadcasting the SSID after a power failure. So, it's a nuisance to change it to a no-broadcast setting.
Tomsic
On 9/24/2012 2:55 PM, Metspitzer wrote:

SSIDs, actually - the names of wireless networks. There are lists of funny network names floating around. "WeCanHearYouHavingSex" is one of my favorites, as is "RIAA Legal Department".

OK, I'll bite. What is "RIAA?"
On 9/24/2012 5:48 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

This must be it:
http://www.riaa.com/physicalpiracy.php?content_selector=piracy_online_the_law
On 9/24/2012 4:48 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

The crazy people who sue little kids and or their families for illegally downloading copyrighted music/movies. The lawsuits and rewards are for insane amounts of money or they threaten a lawsuit to extort a settlement. O_o
TDD