Widest possible gate?

Page 4 of 4

wrote >

The key is one piece. The post. If that is in there to where it can't move, the rest is as easy as pancakes.
Steve

The roller is going to be a problem unless the entire area is level or you get one of those fancy spring loaded roller$. I'd go with split the dif or pavers under the fence portion. Keep in mind the hinge side of the gate has to be very strong, my bet is the existing fence post is not deep enough to support a 5' gate.

The roller is going to be a problem unless the entire area is level or you get one of those fancy spring loaded roller$. I'd go with split the dif or pavers under the fence portion. Keep in mind the hinge side of the gate has to be very strong, my bet is the existing fence post is not deep enough to support a 5' gate.
================= My son's planning on installing 4x4 posts with cement. Maybe the thicker posts if we go with the single wide gate idea.

My understanding is that you definitely want 6x6 posts if they are freestanding and supporting any kind of gate.
Yours, Wayne

Out here in farm country, the gates are 10-12' feet but they are metal frames, not for privacy, just to keep the animals in. They are usually mounted to a 6 x 6, or 8 x 8 set deep enough in the ground to counter the weight of the gate. Some also have a steel guide-wire attached to the top of the gate for added support. Readily available at a store such as Fleet & Farm.
Joe J.

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

What's the purpose of this gate? Prevent access? Privacy? Both?
If the purpose is only to limit vehicular access, a simple chain with a reflective sign would be sufficient.
Going up from there, a three or four pipe system, like used for livestock barriers, is next.

To keep people with bad upbringing from waiting around the corner in the alley at night. Son and I have suggested a pistol permit for his mother, but she hasn't evolved far enough yet.
Yes, the gate will be padlocked.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Ah, okay. A "deterrence" gate.
First, I don't think she needs a pistol permit (depending on the jurisdiction) if she's on her own property (or very close thereto). A 16-gauge shotgun is also an excellent choice. Be sure to tell her: "When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!"
Second: For a deterrence gate, you'll also need a "Really Bad Dog" sign. The sign, coupled with an infa-red or acoustic trigger for the most inspiring growl you can find (taping the lion at the zoo comes to mind) is also appropriate.
Third, don't neglect the concertina wire.

A shotgun's great if you're already in the house. But, nobody comes home from the grocery store hauling a shotgun.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

I do. I have a 20-gauge with a pistol grip in the car. I guess there are some who don't...
If the gremlins managed to get in my house, thinking they could ambush me [penetrating the burglar bars and alarm system], they would be attacked by a brace of ferocious cats.
As a compromise, Ruger makes a weapon called "The Judge." It's a revolver that fires .410 shotgun AND .45 long Colt cartridges. You can mix-and-match your ammunition, say three shotgun and three pistol rounds.
------- You may want to take your mom to see a new movie: "Taken"* starring Liam Neeson. It illustrates the rule that if you leave a confrontation with unfired bullets, you've wasted a resource.
"I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you're looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money.
"What I do have is a very particular set of skills - skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you.
"If you let my daughter go now, that will be the end of it. But if you don't, I will look for you.
"I will find you.
"I will kill you."
I'm telling you, it's the "Bourne Identity" on ampheta-steroids. In one scene, Neeson walks unarmed into a room with seven crazy, armed, Albanians, and kills six of them. The seventh he ties to a chair, rams a spike in each thigh, and hooks him up to the power grid ("I want you to focus"). I call it the "tea-time" scene.
I'm generally ambivalent about chick-flicks, but this one is good.
---------- * Not yet released in the U.S. (I had to go to Paris to see it). Watch for it though.

Yeah OK. Sure.

Yeah OK. Sure.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Somebody nudge Joe. He's stuck.

Yeah OK. Sure.
On 7/28/2008 4:18 AM JoeSpareBedroom spake thus:

Yes, you're imagining this ...
I recently built two large-ish gates (5' wide and pretty heavy) with casters on the swinging side. Eliminates sagging problems. You need to have a smooth, level path for the wheels. And I'd use larger casters (or even one of those semi-pneumatic wheels) next time. But it works fine.
Barbd wire
It figures a webtv user would say something like that.