Why would someone put in a salt water swimming pool?

Page 1 of 3

I was chatting with someone at a sport's game and they mentioned that someone they knew put in a salt water rather than fresh water pool in the back yard. Not one for a pond of fish.
1) Are there any advantages to this?
2) Someone mentioned that their child has eye problems with the chlorine in pools. Is their a non-chlorine based pool treatment for fresh water pools that will not irratate their kids eyes?
Thanks much,
Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC
Contributing writer for FUTURES Magazine Author of RECRUITSOURCE PEOPLESOFT EXAM and RECRUITSOURCE SAP/R3 EXAM Author of POWER TIPS FOR THE APPLE NEWTON and INTRODUCTION TO CSP
NOTE: To send me an email, remove TAKEOUT from my email address: snipped-for-privacy@seldin.net
NOTE: My web home page: www.seldin.net
On Apr 23, 6:19�pm, "Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC"

add enough salt and no one can drown. high salt concentrations make people float.
if the person were along the beach they could pump berach water from the ocean, filtering it and change water endlessely with the ocean, no chemicals needed.
some cruise ships had salt water pools, i prefer clean fresh water myself salt YUK
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!
I guess no one ever drowned in the oceans, huh?

Did he say the oceans had "enough"?

ocean isnt salty enough, great salt lake you cant sink, because people are lighter than the salt filled water
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Oh, now I understand. No one has drowned in the Great Lakes, the Dead Sea, or the Caspian Sea, either - fucktard? Maybe you're thinking of the salt plains in Nevada.

Maybe you mean salt flats in Utah.
-- Oren

Yeah, they drown in the ocean BECAUSE THERE'S NOT ENOUGH SALT IN THE OCEAN!

Tell that to the people who were on the Titanic, or the Lusitania, or the Andrea Doria, or ...

Guess again. Human beings float just fine in fresh water. They float a little higher in salt water, that's all.
--
Regards,

I must not be human. I don't float.

You sink? All the way to the bottom of a pool?
--
Regards,
On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 01:37:52 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Always have.
On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 11:36:49 +0000, Doug Miller wrote:

I sink too. All the way to the bottom. My mom used to scream at me to relax so I would quit sinking. And I would gently drift to the bottom of the pool so relaxed... Its physics. If you want to float, your gonna have to fatten up... I don't have much fat and I do work out 2-3 times a week.
Its funny that you mention that. I guess I can ask people from now on if they float as a way to know their relative build without clueing them in :D

I dunno, man- I'm pretty well upholstered, and I don't float worth a damn. But I'm also tall and wide, and have an extremely large skull, so maybe the extra bone mass makes up for the blubber.
aem sends...

I can float, but I do tense up and then sink. I don't feel safe because lots of people who can float still drown. I am scared of drowning, and sort of liked it when I was fat, because I felt much safer.
I've also been to the Dead Sea. Can't remember the feeling except I think that it was almost like being in a beanbag chair instead of water. I'm sure if someone held you vertical with your feet pointing up, your head would go under the water, but short of that, you're not going to drown or even get your head under water. You can even roll over.
Just don't wipe your eyes with your wet hands until you're rinsed off well in the outdoor showers.
On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 11:36:49 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

I sometimes exhale and lie on the bottom of a pool for a few seconds. Without air in your lungs, you sink. Once you start decomposing you will float. An alternative to decomposing is just to keep air in your lungs. That's what most of us do.

I had one contracter give an estimate on the pool and he recommended keeping air in my lungs. The second guy was 1000 dollars cheaper and recommended decomposing. Which one should I hire?

The only way I can float is to keep my lungs 100% full. 70% and I'll start to sink. It makes it difficult to tread water when you have to expend more energy just to breath.
Bone density, fat percentage, and muscularity determine your buoyancy.
On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 15:38:20 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

Yes, that seems logical. I find that if I keep my lungs mostly full of air, I can put my head back and float hanging down in the water with just my face breaking the surface and my hands clasped behind my back; sometimes just my nose breaks the surface. Luckily I have a big nose.
I took up surfing a few years back. I'm still pretty bad at it but it sure is the easiest way to float. Just keep a longboard under you at all times. At least until you go head over heels.
I was a Lifeguard and cannot float either. Had real problems passing their tests.
BetsyB