Why would someone put in a salt water swimming pool?

Try again but fill your lungs with air.

If I exhale completely I sink to the bottom of the pool. With my lungs mostly full I float fine. For years I thought I had to keep swimming to stay afloat.

Reply to
Dan Espen

The salt water pool systems use a chlorine generator in the water path that extracts the chlorine from the sodium chloride electrically and it then recombines but while it is free chlorine it sanitizes the water. You still need to shock the pool but you don't add chlorine in an ongoing process. This works at about 5 PPT salt (like contact solution or blood) , the ocean is 37-38 PPT.

Reply to
gfretwell

Likewise, I can sit on the bottom of the pool and wave to the irritated swim instructor floating up above insisting that all people float.

Reply to
<josh

If it happened on the Dead Sea or Lake Asal, they&#39;d probably be alive today.

A lot higher if the concetrations are high enough.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

ocean isnt salty enough, great salt lake you cant sink, because people are lighter than the salt filled water

Reply to
hallerb

Chuckle. BTDT. I don&#39;t float worth a damn, either. Even in the wide-arm, wide leg, staring at sky position, I have to keep half-full lungs, and keep kicking slightly.

aem sends....

Reply to
aemeijers

Oh, now I understand. No one has drowned in the Great Lakes, the Dead Sea, or the Caspian Sea, either - fucktard? Maybe you&#39;re thinking of the salt plains in Nevada.

Reply to
Clancy Wiggum

Always have.

Reply to
tnom

Oooo, how much more?

Richard J Kinch

I sink too. All the way to the bottom. My mom used to scream at me to relax so I would quit sinking. And I would gently drift to the bottom of the pool so relaxed... Its physics. If you want to float, your gonna have to fatten up... I don&#39;t have much fat and I do work out 2-3 times a week.

Its funny that you mention that. I guess I can ask people from now on if they float as a way to know their relative build without clueing them in :D

Reply to
dnoyeB

You realize that there are not many black dies? Most that are black are really really dark green or blue? Which when bleached turns light green or light blue?

Reply to
dnoyeB

I sometimes exhale and lie on the bottom of a pool for a few seconds. Without air in your lungs, you sink. Once you start decomposing you will float. An alternative to decomposing is just to keep air in your lungs. That&#39;s what most of us do.

Reply to
dgk

I was a Lifeguard and cannot float either. Had real problems passing their tests.

BetsyB

Reply to
betsyb

Maybe you mean salt flats in Utah.

-- Oren

"I don&#39;t have anything against work. I just figure, why deprive somebody who really loves it."

Reply to
Oren

I dunno, man- I&#39;m pretty well upholstered, and I don&#39;t float worth a damn. But I&#39;m also tall and wide, and have an extremely large skull, so maybe the extra bone mass makes up for the blubber.

aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

I can float, but I do tense up and then sink. I don&#39;t feel safe because lots of people who can float still drown. I am scared of drowning, and sort of liked it when I was fat, because I felt much safer.

I&#39;ve also been to the Dead Sea. Can&#39;t remember the feeling except I think that it was almost like being in a beanbag chair instead of water. I&#39;m sure if someone held you vertical with your feet pointing up, your head would go under the water, but short of that, you&#39;re not going to drown or even get your head under water. You can even roll over.

Just don&#39;t wipe your eyes with your wet hands until you&#39;re rinsed off well in the outdoor showers.

Reply to
nono

I had one contracter give an estimate on the pool and he recommended keeping air in my lungs. The second guy was 1000 dollars cheaper and recommended decomposing. Which one should I hire?

Reply to
mm

The only way I can float is to keep my lungs 100% full. 70% and I&#39;ll start to sink. It makes it difficult to tread water when you have to expend more energy just to breath.

Bone density, fat percentage, and muscularity determine your buoyancy.

Reply to
tnom

That&#39;s a bit of definitional retreat, from hair itself to hair dyes.

Nevertheless, of the variety of cases I&#39;ve seen, it has nothing to do with dyed hair, and everything to do with fair-haired kids, or older specimens salon-bleaching their hair artificially blonde. Something in the pool water is added to their fair hair, not taken away, to produce the green, that something being copper. Tip concentration exaggerates the effect.

The few ppm of chlorine as in swimming pools does not bleach. It it were, normal bathing in city water (which used to be sanitized with a ppm or two of free chlorine, but nowadays almost all chloramine instead) would have been bleaching everybody&#39;s hair dyes, and that certainly wasn&#39;t the case.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

That, I would dispute.

Reply to