Why does everyone here seem to dislike HD?

I believe it depends on where the stores are located, not only state and town, but also district in a large city. In my town, there is very little difference in price between HD and Lowes when comparing identical products and neither HD nor Lowes is consistently lower. The same is true when comparing equivalent, but not identical, products. I do think that Lowes tends to carry higher priced brands and am not saying that those higher priced brands are better.

The same is true with food stores. For example Albertson's (Boise is the home of Albertson's) is a high priced store in Boise, but we don't have Safeway as a competitor. In Spokane, WA Albertson's prices are for more competitive as they have several chains as competitors.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

I feel they are limited on what products or inventory they have to offer, the selection is poor.

Tom

Reply to
twfsa

...snip story of "cherry picking" at non-BORG...

My problem w/ that mentality is that if everyone follows it it continues the present trend of insufficient business for the non-BORGs such that they then close and are no longer there for those times you then _really_ need them... :(

It makes sense to me that if you appreciate the extra quality and inventory (that don't come free to those retailers) to support them as much as possible.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Yup !

For the most part HD only stocks "lower quality/priced" items in their stores. While they can "special order" better stuff, the extras costs of bringing in non-stock items often is higher than anywhere else. As well as most of their staff get pissed off that you even want them to order it.

e.g. while they have pre-made doors (kits) in stock, in 28", 30", try to get one in a different sze, and the price can be double even if you want a smaller door. (26")

Reply to
Amun

I hate their lights, they sound like really noisy street lights. For that alone I'll generally go to Home Depot.

Reply to
Chris Hill

Poorly lit and cluttered aisles and shelves. Lowes is a pleasure comparitively.

Reply to
Art
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

When I go to HD, there is only one checkout line open--the "check yourself out line". If I'm buying $500 worth of supplies for my rentals, "checking myself out" really pisses me off.

When I go to Lowes there are five cute cashiers waiting to check me out and it only takes a minute.

Guess where I go 99% of the time?

John

Reply to
John‰]

It couldn't *possibly* be that whatever characteristics these sites have that attracted 84 Lumber would also appeal to another firm in a similar business?

Reply to
Steve Kraus

Where you can live out your sexual fantasies without making your wife mad?

Near my house are a Lowe's and a Home Depot, and I've given up on the Lowe's because they make way too many pricing errors, their employees know NOTHING about their products, and the store manager, "Scott" Jones (don't call him by his real name, Jim Jones, the same as the suicide cult leader), is an idiot and lying bastard. He's so bad that he should be working at Best Buy.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

I find the same stuff at both stores. Nothing special really between either one. Where I live there are a number of home depot stores. Not all of them are alike. Some actually carry more stuff of the same item catagory giving a better selection.

As for the wood? You need to take wood right from a newly opened pallet. Shit that others have picked through isnt going to do. If you need that much lumber go to a real place and get it. If you order enough, they will still throw in delivery for nothing. (who are we kidding its already factored into the price)

Reply to
BocesLib