Why does everyone here seem to dislike HD?

Page 2 of 2

I don't dislike them. I shop at both of them. But the facts are they are both big retail gaints that stifle other businesses by selling a lot of second class stuff. And maintaining an inventory of fast moving items but not bothering to stock the slower selling parts and supplies that are sometimes needed.
A case in point. I recently needed to replace about 300 liner feet of 3/4" roof decking. Lowes now only stocks "appearence grade" 1x6 and 1x8 lumber. Recalling that Furrows used to stock #3 lumber for decking I let my fingers walk through the lumber yards that mostly cater to contractors. Found a local outlet of a regional chain that said sure we have.
Surprise. Surprise. Their #3 grade which was properly stored laying flat was almost equal to the "appearance grade" stuff at Lowes at about half the price. To be fair it did have a few more solid knots. Wonderful wood for roof decking.
I will still shop Lowes and HD but if I need a quantity of lumber guess where I will be buying it.
Colbyt
Colbyt wrote:

...snip story of "cherry picking" at non-BORG...

My problem w/ that mentality is that if everyone follows it it continues the present trend of insufficient business for the non-BORGs such that they then close and are no longer there for those times you then _really_ need them... :(
It makes sense to me that if you appreciate the extra quality and inventory (that don't come free to those retailers) to support them as much as possible.

For me:
low quality on items (compare with Lowe's) fewer items to select from (compare with Lowe's) frequently ABSOLUTELY ignorant sales help frequent absence of help unability to ring something without FBI investigation if it doesn't have a tag prices ring up wrong low grade lumber
Other than that, they're pretty good.
Steve

and any other big box store. Usually poor or no service and often inconvenient. I hate loading my lumber twice. At the local "real" lumber yard I get experienced people, they load, or at least help. Quality is better, and often price is better too. A few years ago I replaced the sofit and facia on my house. I timed it poorly and ended up getting started on a weekend. Out of four big box chain stores in my area none of them had enough product to do my little rambler. I got frustrated and gave it up until Monday and I called a local lumber yard. They had 100 times the material I needed and delivered it right to my driveway, exactly where I told them to, for less money! The same episode took place when I roofed my hose too. I make an effort to give them my business after that! Greg
i dont dislike hd or lowes, they saying around here is that if you want the best wood go to bolan maloney lumber ,,,if you want lesser quality go to 84,hd or lowes. lucas
This is Turtle.
Well Dean i can remember the day i could go in a hardware store and the fellow know exactly what i wanted and would go to the back to look at it. he had what you wanted for that area. Now Home Depot movers into a area and all the Local Hardware store go under because of the lower prices at first year or so in a area to get foot hold. this takes out all the local hardware store and then they move the prices back up to normal. Lowes , Walmarts and Home depot are no different but this is the way they move in.
then when they are there and all the local hardware stores are gone. they put some of the dumbest kids waiting on you that a high school will let out. I know what i want but anybody new or a just a home owner is facing a wall of stupidity when asking questions about what you want.
Now like louie said they are not the best at getting quality of material when you buy from them.
Now here is a example of this brainer kids they have working at home Depot. About a year ago i went in a home Depot to get me some 2"X4" to make a plateform with. I ask the kid working there where was the 8 foot long 2"X4" for the slot where they went was empty. He told me that they was not carring them anymore. I had him call his superviser to check on this and the superviser said on the radio that he did not think he could get anymore of them because of they took too long to come in when they ordered them. i don't ask anymore.
TURTLE
I feel they are limited on what products or inventory they have to offer, the selection is poor.
Tom

Poorly lit and cluttered aisles and shelves. Lowes is a pleasure comparitively.

When I go to HD, there is only one checkout line open--the "check yourself out line". If I'm buying $500 worth of supplies for my rentals, "checking myself out" really pisses me off.
When I go to Lowes there are five cute cashiers waiting to check me out and it only takes a minute.
Guess where I go 99% of the time?
John
John] wrote:

Where you can live out your sexual fantasies without making your wife mad?
Near my house are a Lowe's and a Home Depot, and I've given up on the Lowe's because they make way too many pricing errors, their employees know NOTHING about their products, and the store manager, "Scott" Jones (don't call him by his real name, Jim Jones, the same as the suicide cult leader), is an idiot and lying bastard. He's so bad that he should be working at Best Buy.