Why did my fireplace door glass shatter

Check the inside edge of the frame for a screw or burr that may have stressed it on the small edge.

Tempered glass is more sensitive to strikes/stress from the edge than face on.

I replaced a pane in a commercial window one time, the screws that held the frame together were so close to the glass that the second the screw thread touched the edge as I put it back together, it shattered. I probably could have thrown a baseball at this glass head- on and not broken it, but the smallest concentrated inward pressure at the edge will shatter the whole pane.

Reply to
RickH

I've seen it happen with pinball machine playfield glasses. They can take a heck of a smack of the steel ball hitting them from the inside, people smacking their beer down on the outside, etc, but lean one standing on edge against the wall and a grain of sand on the floor can cause it to shatter into tiny shards.

Reply to
James Sweet

The windshield on my older car broke twice from a very small point of rust on the frame. This occurred, beginning with a crack that slowly extended, twice within a year. On the second repair, the installer found the cause and corrected it.

Reply to
Norminn

The grain of sand comment it true; based on lessons taught to me. Any little nick on the edge of tempered glass may cause the glass to shatter.

A good reason why glass companies use rubber pads during transport to a job.

Reply to
Oren

Got the glass and put it in, making sure there was nothing touching the edges, just on the flat surfaces.

Reply to
hrhofmann