Whole house surge protectors

What are the issues related to whole house surge protectors? Do they work well (or at least as well as the cheap surge strips that most people use? Can they eliminate the use of individual surge protectors at various locations throughout the house? Is there a problem using surge strips (for use of additional receptacles) if you have a whole house surge protector? What is the proper way to do the wire in a whole house surge protector? What do you need to look for in purchasing one? Can you recommend any particular brand/model? Does more money buy a better unit?
If you want to read more . . .
I posed a question on this newsgroup about replacing my old two prong non-grounded receptacles. One suggestion was to use GFI receptacles to deal with the safety issues. One helpful respondent said:

I'm wondering if GFI's on the old two-wire system combined with a whole house surge protector would effectively deal with the issues of safety and surge protection.
On 24 Aug 2003 03:43:56 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@htn.net (David Jensen) wrote:

Do a search here with the keys words "grounding" and "rod". There have been some good, long threads discussing whole house protection and proper grounding (half the issue). These devices will help stop catastrophic surge. Note that if you want protection against minor power fluctuations that you really need a UPS for any devices you want to protect.
Bob
In the Cincinnati, Ohio area you can get the whole house surge protector for $200. installed by the Cincinnati Gas & Electric