who to call to install exhuast fan through the roof?

I need to have a bathroom exhaust fan installed in my very small, upstairs bathroom--(lots of peeling paint). No previous exhaust fan exists and opening the window doesn't work well (and leads to some mighty uncomfortable winter showers!) The bathroom is located in part of the "bumped-out" section of a cape cod, and thus the roof is nearly flat and not shingled (a rubber roof?). Thus, there is no attic access. In fact, I'm not sure there's much of *any* space between the ceiling and the roof deck except that needed for the joists. (And, BTW, there's no room to put an exhaust fan through the wall.) Firstly, any opinions on whether there would even be room to install a fan in the ceiling? (I was thinking of using a Panasonic--possibly the WisperFit Low Profile.) Secondly, who exactly do I hire to install this? (Is this how it goes--a roofer to cut a hole in the roof and install the roof cap; then an electrician to cut a BIG hole in the ceiling, hook up the ductwork and wire it; and finally a drywaller to repair the big hole?) Any other ideas? Thanks!

Reply to
bmcmartin1

if there's power nearby, a general handyman could do all the work. if not, then you need an electrician (who might need a permit) to do the wiring, then the handyman to do the rest.

it'd be a heck of a lot easier and cheaper if you could find the room to go through the wall.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

Firstly,

You can try measuring from the top of the window to the ceiling inside of the bathroom and then go outside and measure from the top of the window to the roof. You will need to deduct approximately 2" for roof thickness and ceiling drywall thickness. That should give you a rough idea on how much space you have to work with. You could make a small hole in the bathroom ceiling or along side of a ceiling light fixture electrical box and push a straightened coat hanger up to get an idea of the depth also.

(I was thinking of using a Panasonic--possibly the

I like the Panasonic fans. They are quiet, however they tend to be deeper than some of the other brands cheaper (And Noisier) models

Secondly, who exactly do I hire to install

You might find an electrician who is willing to work on the roof. I suggest calling him first. He will need to make a sizable hole in the ceiling to get the fan, ductwork, and wiring in. Once the fan is in and wired, a roofer could cut the hole in the roof and install the roof cap and connect the duct.

John Grabowski

John Grabowski

Someone licensed locally to perform such work. Exact variety of specific licenses required will vary, by jurisdiction. Ask around locally and check references.

Major problem may be finding tradesperson with time available.

barry

In my area there is a place tat specializing in attic ventilation. They vented out a few old bath fans that were venting into the attic (oof), and installed roof caps. They also installed a kitchen exhaust fan (utility fan) and cap for me too. Maybe check the yellow pages under "attic?"

I got the referral to these folks through my insulation guy, fwiw, so there's another place you might call to ask the question.

Best Regards,

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

Try a radon mitigation contractor. I was one for a number of years and did many different ventilations using radon equipment (the first fans used in radon mitigation were actually exhaust fans used in high end bathroom vents.). He should be able to install a small fan on the roof with a pipe to the bathroom ceiling.

Reply to
hwm54112

subject to code requirements, alternative might be replace the window itself with an exhaust fan and translucent light panels.

now's the time to install a vented skylight which is what you really wanted. i just saw a design it yourself website at

buffalobill

According to Charles Spitzer :

A general handyman, or a carpenter. Most carpenters will be able to do small bits of drywall, electrical and minor roof repair too.

However, the OP's roof seems a bit of a problem - if it's something approaching a very shallow pitch or flat roof, you perhaps should consult with a roofing company and see if they can do it. Believe me, if the roof leaks, you'll have MUCH bigger problems than a damp bathroom.

It's such a small job, you may have difficulty finding someone other than a handyman.

Reply to
Chris Lewis