who's flue?

Brooklyn, NY. Building is attached on one side. There's a stack w/ 4 openings in between the buildings. One opening is the other building's boiler flue, the next opening is sealed up, the next opening is a flue that appears to go all the way down, the fourth opening is sealed.
I want to figure out who's flue the open one is. I don't think it is in use, and I don't think the owner of the other building will know. Is there a rule of thumb for how they arranged old flues? doubtful.
Assuming its all sealed up, any way to figure it out?
Eventually I might like to run a hood vent up there, is the main reason I'm interested.
any info appreciated,
Ben
Not mine.
I got a shot back in November.......
Dude, I think you need a flue shot.

Ben, all the openings belong to your neighbor. Your chimney is on the other side of your house . The four openings represent original connections to the fireplaces on each floor in the same house. The chimney probably predates central heating and one of the flues was converted to be used by the boiler when it was installed.
--
Peace,
BobJ

Interesting problem. I would use a air horn and give the flue a toot to see which end on the other side the sound comes out of.
That's what I thought at first, but one of the flues that's covered hits my roof clearly... the other one is not so clear.
Also, I agree that if it were a fireplace flue it would be on the other side of the roof, near my radiator vent/flue. But wouldn't they have had flues for the stoves back in 1896? I think so... all the roofs in the hood have multiple roofed over protrusions that I assume were flues for a variety of heating/cooking devices.
Anyway, best bet is probably to ask the neighbors and figure out who the owner is and see if he knows.
-Ben